Sparkler

  • Garth Battista
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2000
      I keep going back to Sparkler in "30-Odd Boats" and wondering -- has
      anyone built one, or know of one that's been built? I don't recall
      hearing of one in the past -- and it's surprising, as it seems a good
      design. It's PCB's version of the Lightning -- 19', flat-iron style,
      wider transom than Surf or Zephyr. Buildable instant-boat style.
      Simple and elegant and all plans are in "30-Odd."

      Seems it would be as popular as Gypsy or June Bug or Surf or Zephyr.
      Was the design found lacking somehow? PCB mentions that it's flatter
      than would be ideal for speed -- could use more rocker -- but aside
      from that, it looks perfect, and roomier than my Gypsy.

      My heart is still set on working toward the 25' lapstrake Chebacco
      for next year's big project -- but sometimes I think about knocking
      together something else in the meantime for sailing with friends. And
      also building that cradle boat for our soon-to-be new arrival . . .

      Any word on Sparkler would be appreciated.

      All best,
      Garth
    • iambrutis
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 18, 2005
        Has anyone heard of a Bolger design Called Sparkler. A simple design
        of a Lightning. Thanks, Tom
      • pvanderwaart
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 19, 2005
          > Has anyone heard of a Bolger design Called Sparkler. A simple
          design
          > of a Lightning. Thanks, Tom

          I only know what I read/saw in the book. There are two things I
          wonder about it. First, is 100 sq ft of sail enough for a boat
          nearly 20' long? Second, is there room for a crew person to arrange
          him/herself alongside the centerboard, and to change from side to
          side during a tack?

          I've never heard of one being built, or seen a picture.

          Peter
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 19, 2005
            > > Has anyone heard of a Bolger design Called Sparkler. A simple
            > design
            > > of a Lightning. Thanks, Tom

            I think Sparkler is a wonderful design, an easy build, and...
            I think you should build one and share lots of pictures.
          • Karl Rasmussen
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 19, 2005
              It's in 30 Odd Boats in chapter 4 (I think). I was reading about it last night, particularly about the odd sheeting arrangement, which I see as a possibility for use in my June Bug.
              Sparkler looks fast and easy to build apart from the centre case, (I'll stick to leeboards).

              Karl

              Has anyone heard of a Bolger design Called Sparkler. A simple design
              of a Lightning. Thanks, Tom

              Bolger rules!!!
              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 19, 2005
                Would love to see the plans. But they where not in the Boats with a
                Open Minded I got from santa. I have fond memmories of sailing a
                Lightning Class 30+ years ago and getting a sailing merit badge and
                they had one that was in rough shape at the Portland boat show.

                Jon

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "iambrutis" <iambrutis@y...> wrote:

                > Has anyone heard of a Bolger design Called Sparkler. A simple
                design
                > of a Lightning. Thanks, Tom
              • Charles Rouse
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 18, 2007
                  Has anyone built a Sparkler from "30 Odd Boats"?

                  Looks really good. It's more narrow than a Lightning.

                  Charles Rouse
                • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 18, 2007
                    Jest build a real Lightning with even more sail or rebuild one like I
                    am doing a 1962. There are even updated plans for building a Lightning
                    in ply. http://www.lightningclass.org/index.asp Look in the store for
                    plans. There are some celabrations planded for the 70th annivesary this
                    comeing summer.

                    Jon

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 24, 2008
                      Not nearly enough is said about Bolger's Sparkler design, (a cheaper
                      and simplified functional match for a Lightening).

                      What appeals to me about Sparkler is the very simple solid stout
                      construction (it has a 1 inch bottom) plus the elegant 'signature'
                      design elements as typical of PCB during his spare '80's era. (But
                      here with a tip of the hat to more conventional boat elements, like a
                      centerboard trunk, floorboards, etc.)

                      I, like many others around here, am particularly fond of this phase in
                      PCB's career, where he went to extremes to distill boats down to their
                      pure essence. Sparkler would be a cheap, quick and easy build, and
                      she would make a spectacular day sailer.

                      http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2358331355/
                    • Charles Rouse
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 24, 2008

                        I looked at Sparkler, and I like it. One thing I did notice is that
                        the lightening has 130 pounds in the center board, and the Sparkler
                        has 14 1/2 pounds of lead, just enough to sink the centerboard. So it
                        would seem that Sparkler would be more tender than Ligthening.
                        Sparkler is somewhat skinnier than Lightening. The bottom of Sparkler
                        is thick and presumably provides some ballast, but not till it heals
                        quite a bit.

                        It still looks like a great boat. Tempting I would say. Charles