Re: [bolger] Re: Big (but not HUGE) Sharpie - ANTISPRAY 48

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1 12:10 AM
      Thanks, John, for posting the body plan of your boat. That's
      a very interesting development in the growth of Bolger's work.

      I see now a distinction ought to be made between 'sponsons',
      a la Gloucester Yawl and ( here I'm guessing ) the revised
      Martha Jane and, on the other hand, the motorboat 'steps'.
      Though all have a dogleg in the body, the sponsons are up
      high, the steps, like yours, down low.

      The rest are in the Square Boat genre. Yours is also unique
      in that the main body has flare. Another theme exemplified
      in Antispray is the Bolger disregard for the classic
      aversion to windage!

      You haven't mentioned how far along you are in construction,
      but many here will be interested in how it all works out.

      Bon voyage,

      Mark

      "John R. McDaniel" wrote:

      > Mark,
      >
      > Ahh, interesting bit of background. The body view sketch is now
      > in "Files" and titled "ANTISPRAY_body.jpg".
      >
      > Please note that the substantial fillet between the body and the
      > cutwater is not shown.
      >
      > As always, thanks for the comments.
      >
      > John
      >
      > > .... So for comparison sake,
      > > yes, please post the body plan sketch.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Mark
      >
      > Bolger rules!!!
      > - no cursing
      > - stay on topic
      > - use punctuation
    • John R. McDaniel
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1 9:16 PM
        Mark,

        Once again....interesting comments.

        When we began the design process with Phil & Susanne, we gave them
        multiple typewritten pages detailing our wish list with each item
        prioritized. Item/priority #1 was "Shallow Draft".

        Unless you happen to be a 'vertically challenged' person, it's
        difficult to have your feet just inches below DWL without your head
        sticking up a bit. We feel that "wading" draft is worth much more
        than casting a small shadow.

        Our experience sez that the mizzen essentially makes any increased
        windage invisible when anchored. Most telling, perhaps, is to
        compare actual profile square footage with boats of similar VOLUME
        and more traditional design.

        Incidentally, just aft the mainmast is a complete workshop with
        workbench plus area for lathe/mill and lots of tool storage.

        Progress has been hampered this past nine months by the unfortunate
        need to earn a living (donations may be mailed to.....). Progress to
        date includes building a 40'x70' boatshed, constructing three one-
        ton, 17'H x 15"W, steel-handling gantries, pouring 5000 lbs of lead
        ballast/counterweights, sewing the full set of tanbark sales, and
        stockpiling all necessary steel and aluminum (spars). Engine,
        transmission, marine gear, bulkhead plywood, Lexan for glazing, and a
        jillion other pieces are here. We hope to start actual hull
        construction this fall.

        Regards,

        John

      • freedem@excite.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2 1:29 PM
          --- In bolger@egroups.com, "John R. McDaniel" <jmcdan@h...> wrote:

          Mr McDaniel
          Oh the Nerveves you"ve twanged in your letter esp that such a lot
          of work has been done, and that soon you hope to start on the hull.
          To repete a sorta apt saying The mountians are easy after one gets
          over the mohills.
          Good wished and envy to you, may the hull come easy
          Jeff By
        • Chuck Leinweber
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3 6:00 AM
            > Oh, wow, we can hardly find time to work on the boat, let alone find
            > time to learn how to setup/update a website. On second thought, at
            > our current pace, updating such a site wouldn't take much....there
            > would be little to report!
            >
            > I suppose having a website might be one way to keep pressure on us to
            > make progress.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > John & Susan

            Or in lieu of spending all that boat building time learning to make a web
            page, there are at least a couple of sites ( Square Boats, and Duckworks
            Magazine ) that would be happy to take your snap shots and reports and turn
            them into web pages for you. The list seems to be quite interested in
            Antispray.

            Chuck