Re: [bolger] Re: Big (but not HUGE) Sharpie - ANTISPRAY 48

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2000
      John,

      Thanks for the clarification. Now we are really interested!
      Except for the Gloucester Yawl shown in Small Boats, and the
      recently modified Martha Jane, yours is the only "Step
      Sharpie" straight sailboat I recall.

      Of the beach cruiser design, and before the 'Square Boats'
      (1973), Phil Bolger wrote:

      "It's an old observation that sharpies suffer from being
      wide for their length, and from having flaring sides. My
      flow theory accounts for this, but I've long thought that a
      sponson sharpie would produce the benefits of a flaring side
      without the drawbacks, or most of them.

      But also:

      "I should say that I would on no account use a model like
      this for a real cruiser because it would be intolerably
      noisy, full of great bumps and crashes underway in a seaway...

      That boat has a proportionally wider underbody than the
      motor boats and, differently than shown in your profile of
      Antispray, on a hull depth of about two feet the sponsons
      are carried high from stem to stern. So for comparison sake,
      yes, please post the body plan sketch.

      Thanks,

      Mark

      "John R. McDaniel" wrote:

      > Mark,
      >
      > As Peter points out in message #7008, the Long Island Sharpie is a
      > flat bottom sharpie.
      >
      > I often describe ANTISPRAY's hullform by telling people to imagine
      > dropping a typical sharpie on top of a suitably sized canoe...from
      > several feet in the air. The canoe has now been flattened in the
      > middle, but the "pointy ends" still project fore and aft. Bolger
      > calls the forward canoe piece a cutwater and the aft piece a skeg.
      >
      > If you wish, I can send a simple body view sketch. Thanks for the
      > comments.
      >
      > John
      >
      > > Haven't Chapelle at hand: Is the Long Island Sound type a
      > > Clapham nonpareil with a vee worked in for and aft, but
      > > still called a sharpie?
      >

      > Bolger rules!!!
      > - no cursing
      > - stay on topic
      > - use punctuation
    • Clyde S. Wisner
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 2000
        Perhaps, deadrise and hard chine work boats proved better. Clyde

        Peter Vanderwaart wrote:

        > > Haven't Chapelle at hand: Is the Long Island Sound type a
        > > Clapham nonpareil with a vee worked in for and aft, but
        > > still called a sharpie?
        > >

        > The LIS sharpie is the most usual, tradition, flat-bottomed type.
        >
        > The Clapham boats were different. His boats were considered superior,
        > but they didn't catch on. Probably because the improvements were only
        > meaningful to yachtsmen, and they were sailing different kinds of
        > boats.
        >
        > Peter
        >
        > Bolger rules!!!
        > - no cursing
        > - stay on topic
        > - use punctuation
      • John R. McDaniel
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2000
          Mark,

          Ahh, interesting bit of background. The body view sketch is now
          in "Files" and titled "ANTISPRAY_body.jpg".

          Please note that the substantial fillet between the body and the
          cutwater is not shown.

          As always, thanks for the comments.

          John

          > .... So for comparison sake,
          > yes, please post the body plan sketch.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Mark
        • Mark Albanese
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2000
            Thanks, John, for posting the body plan of your boat. That's
            a very interesting development in the growth of Bolger's work.

            I see now a distinction ought to be made between 'sponsons',
            a la Gloucester Yawl and ( here I'm guessing ) the revised
            Martha Jane and, on the other hand, the motorboat 'steps'.
            Though all have a dogleg in the body, the sponsons are up
            high, the steps, like yours, down low.

            The rest are in the Square Boat genre. Yours is also unique
            in that the main body has flare. Another theme exemplified
            in Antispray is the Bolger disregard for the classic
            aversion to windage!

            You haven't mentioned how far along you are in construction,
            but many here will be interested in how it all works out.

            Bon voyage,

            Mark

            "John R. McDaniel" wrote:

            > Mark,
            >
            > Ahh, interesting bit of background. The body view sketch is now
            > in "Files" and titled "ANTISPRAY_body.jpg".
            >
            > Please note that the substantial fillet between the body and the
            > cutwater is not shown.
            >
            > As always, thanks for the comments.
            >
            > John
            >
            > > .... So for comparison sake,
            > > yes, please post the body plan sketch.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Mark
            >
            > Bolger rules!!!
            > - no cursing
            > - stay on topic
            > - use punctuation
          • John R. McDaniel
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2000
              Mark,

              Once again....interesting comments.

              When we began the design process with Phil & Susanne, we gave them
              multiple typewritten pages detailing our wish list with each item
              prioritized. Item/priority #1 was "Shallow Draft".

              Unless you happen to be a 'vertically challenged' person, it's
              difficult to have your feet just inches below DWL without your head
              sticking up a bit. We feel that "wading" draft is worth much more
              than casting a small shadow.

              Our experience sez that the mizzen essentially makes any increased
              windage invisible when anchored. Most telling, perhaps, is to
              compare actual profile square footage with boats of similar VOLUME
              and more traditional design.

              Incidentally, just aft the mainmast is a complete workshop with
              workbench plus area for lathe/mill and lots of tool storage.

              Progress has been hampered this past nine months by the unfortunate
              need to earn a living (donations may be mailed to.....). Progress to
              date includes building a 40'x70' boatshed, constructing three one-
              ton, 17'H x 15"W, steel-handling gantries, pouring 5000 lbs of lead
              ballast/counterweights, sewing the full set of tanbark sales, and
              stockpiling all necessary steel and aluminum (spars). Engine,
              transmission, marine gear, bulkhead plywood, Lexan for glazing, and a
              jillion other pieces are here. We hope to start actual hull
              construction this fall.

              Regards,

              John

            • freedem@excite.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 2, 2000
                --- In bolger@egroups.com, "John R. McDaniel" <jmcdan@h...> wrote:

                Mr McDaniel
                Oh the Nerveves you"ve twanged in your letter esp that such a lot
                of work has been done, and that soon you hope to start on the hull.
                To repete a sorta apt saying The mountians are easy after one gets
                over the mohills.
                Good wished and envy to you, may the hull come easy
                Jeff By
              • Chuck Leinweber
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 3, 2000
                  > Oh, wow, we can hardly find time to work on the boat, let alone find
                  > time to learn how to setup/update a website. On second thought, at
                  > our current pace, updating such a site wouldn't take much....there
                  > would be little to report!
                  >
                  > I suppose having a website might be one way to keep pressure on us to
                  > make progress.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > John & Susan

                  Or in lieu of spending all that boat building time learning to make a web
                  page, there are at least a couple of sites ( Square Boats, and Duckworks
                  Magazine ) that would be happy to take your snap shots and reports and turn
                  them into web pages for you. The list seems to be quite interested in
                  Antispray.

                  Chuck