Introduction-looking to build a Michalak/Bolger hybrid

  • Matthew Hall
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 17, 2014
      Hi all,

      I'm relatively new to the world of boatbuilding.  After becoming frustrated at not finding what I wanted looking at used boats I began to look into building one.  Phil Bolger's designs were among the first I came across through the Phil Bolger and Friends site.  Anyway, my objective is to build a simple, cheap, sturdy skiff for getting my family out on our local lakes and rivers for some fishing, exploring, picnicking, and just enjoying time on the water.  After a lot of searching, Bolger's Work Skiff 18 caught my eye and seemed to fill the bill.  I then was introduced to Jim Michalak's AF4 Casa, which is a very similar boat (Flat bottom, plumb sided, 18' x 6' beam running straight aft of 10') but with lighter scantlings. Bolger clearly designed the Work Skiff 18 for heavy use and abuse by lobstermen.  This boat will be beached on some rocky shores, knocked around, and tramped upon by muddy kids, but will see nowhere near the abuse that a true Work Skiff would.

      Therefore my idea is to build the AF4 Casa as Michalak specifies but to incorporate the shoe that Bolger specifies for Work Skiff 18 to add lateral stability, displacement, stiffen the bottom, and possibly even help it plane as Hank Payson claimed it did.  Looking forward to learning a lot from others here and hopefully hearing from those who have built the Work Skiff to hear their impressions of it.

      Thanks,

      Matthew
    • daschultz8275@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 19, 2014
        That's a reasonable modification that likely won't screw anything up and will toughen up the otherwise light bottom.  The Casa looks to be an excellent first build, and a great family boat.
      • Matthew Hall
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 20, 2014
          Thanks-I just ran across the gallery that David Jost had posted of his build which was great to familiarize myself with how the Work Skiff goes together, though I do have some additional questions, so David, if you're out there and willing to indulge a greenhorn I'd love to pick your brain.  I hadn't realized that Work Skiff had both a double 1/2" plywood bottom AND a shoe-that's way overkill for my usage I think, so though David's boat weighed in at 800lbs, my modified Casa will certainly weigh less.  I am still debating on 1/2" vs. 1/4" side planking though.  This boat will see use on the Delaware River.  In most of the places we'll be the biggest threat will be to the prop and possibly the bottom in the form of rocks and the occasional deadhead, but I do worry about what would happen should I take a hit from a submerged tree branch or something similar right about the chine of the port bow, for example.  Would it be wise to go with 1/2" instead?  I should note this boat will never see more than a 15 HP and my load (two adults, two kids, dog, gear) will exceed David's, so average speeds will likely be 8-10kts.

          On Saturday, July 19, 2014 10:18 PM, "daschultz8275@... [bolger]" <bolger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          That's a reasonable modification that likely won't screw anything up and will toughen up the otherwise light bottom.  The Casa looks to be an excellent first build, and a great family boat.

        • sirdarnell
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 21, 2014
            The work skiff was designed for professional use.  i.e. hauling up crab traps, if I remember correctly, without bending over.  The double bottom was to allow for running over shells in shallow water and the shoe was needed so the boat would actually turn when you turned the outboard, rather than moving in a straight line sideways until it tripped.  Ouch!
          • Harry James
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 21, 2014
            I built a shortened version of the skiff, I built it on 10.5" or 10" centers I can't remember which to get it down to 13 feet. I picked the skiff because of its stability. The owner of the old classic I skipper is not very flexible and I needed the stability for entrance and exit. I used double 1/4" on the sides to make the bend easier with the shortened length and I only used one layer of 1/2' for the bottom.

            Pics of the skiff in the shop and on the Princeton Hall, I will insert and attach

            HJ

            On 7/21/2014 6:21 AM, sirdarnell@... [bolger] wrote:
            The work skiff was designed for professional use.  i.e. hauling up crab traps, if I remember correctly, without bending over.  The double bottom was to allow for running over shells in shallow water and the shoe was needed so the boat would actually turn when you turned the outboard, rather than moving in a straight line sideways until it tripped.  Ouch!

          • Michael Graham
            Message 6 of 13 , Jul 21, 2014
              My wife says it’s ugly, (and she loves sailboats and makes passages with me regularly). But I confess I have the fever for an AS - 29.

              I would never get one built. So I have to buy someone else’s work. To many things to do, too many commitments. It just isn’t realistic to start a new project for the next 5 years. Was sorry I missed the AS-39 that was for sale in Florida on Craig’s list for 5k a few months ago. But it was probably a mess (I keep telling myself).

              But the problem is, I have never sailed on a Bolger, and certainly not on an AS 29. I intend it for the shallow water of the Bahamas, which would make it great, except possibly for the ventilation. I live in Texas, but am regularly in Florida. Can anyone suggest (or offer) a chance to actually sail on an AS so I can see whether I am simply in love with the idea, rather than the reality?

              I would truly appreciate it. BTW, I am a boat guy. Have too many boats now, my wife says “it’s a sickness” as she smiles forgivingly. Of course, she said that when I began the conversation about a trawler I have found by saying “it was underwater for less than 24 hours.”

              Mike Graham
              (a couple of boats short of enough).
            • Mike Allison
              Message 7 of 13 , Jul 21, 2014
                The AS39 for 5k was in Cambridge Mass

                The one in Florida is in Niceville Fl for 10k on Craig's List.
                POP Yachts shows the same boat for 15.5k

                Mike Allison (North of Kansas City Mo, USA)

                E-Mail: mysloop@...

                On 7/21/2014 1:53 PM, Michael Graham mgraham49@... [bolger] wrote:
                > My wife says it’s ugly, (and she loves sailboats and makes passages with me regularly). But I confess I have the fever for an AS - 29.
                >
                > I would never get one built. So I have to buy someone else’s work. To many things to do, too many commitments. It just isn’t realistic to start a new project for the next 5 years. Was sorry I missed the AS-39 that was for sale in Florida on Craig’s list for 5k a few months ago. But it was probably a mess (I keep telling myself).
                >
                > But the problem is, I have never sailed on a Bolger, and certainly not on an AS 29. I intend it for the shallow water of the Bahamas, which would make it great, except possibly for the ventilation. I live in Texas, but am regularly in Florida. Can anyone suggest (or offer) a chance to actually sail on an AS so I can see whether I am simply in love with the idea, rather than the reality?
                >
                > I would truly appreciate it. BTW, I am a boat guy. Have too many boats now, my wife says “it’s a sickness” as she smiles forgivingly. Of course, she said that when I began the conversation about a trawler I have found by saying “it was underwater for less than 24 hours.”
                >
                > Mike Graham

              • Harry James
                Message 8 of 13 , Jul 21, 2014
                  Could not find the Craig's list listing

                  HJ

                  On 7/21/2014 1:07 PM, Mike Allison mysloop@... [bolger] wrote:
                  > The AS39 for 5k was in Cambridge Mass
                  >
                  > The one in Florida is in Niceville Fl for 10k on Craig's List.
                  > POP Yachts shows the same boat for 15.5k
                  >
                  > Mike Allison (North of Kansas City Mo, USA)
                  >
                  > E-Mail: mysloop@...
                  >
                  > On 7/21/2014 1:53 PM, Michael Graham mgraham49@... [bolger] wrote:

                  ---
                • Bill Howard
                  Message 9 of 13 , Jul 21, 2014
                    Wow!

                    What a beauty!

                    Bill Howard
                    Nellysford VA

                    On Jul 21, 2014, at 1:55 PM, Harry James welshman@... [bolger] <bolger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    I built a shortened version of the skiff, I built it on 10.5" or 10" centers I can't remember which to get it down to 13 feet. I picked the skiff because of its stability. The owner of the old classic I skipper is not very flexible and I needed the stability for entrance and exit. I used double 1/4" on the sides to make the bend easier with the shortened length and I only used one layer of 1/2' for the bottom.

                    Pics of the skiff in the shop and on the Princeton Hall, I will insert and attach

                    <ccggdfgd.png>

                    <cbhccjgc.png>

                    <dffbdbeb.png>

                    HJ

                    On 7/21/2014 6:21 AM, sirdarnell@... [bolger] wrote:
                    The work skiff was designed for professional use.  i.e. hauling up crab traps, if I remember correctly, without bending over.  The double bottom was to allow for running over shells in shallow water and the shoe was needed so the boat would actually turn when you turned the outboard, rather than moving in a straight line sideways until it tripped.  Ouch!

                    This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.

                    <workskiff1.jpg><workskiff2.jpg><workskiff3.jpg>

                  • BruceHallman
                    Message 10 of 13 , Jul 21, 2014
                      Your wife is right, the AS-29 is ugly.

                        Message 12 of 13 , Jul 21, 2014
                          Bev and I sailed the AS29 "Walkure" for 7,000 miles and loved every minute. We sold her only because we were given a larger boat for free and could not maintain two boats.

                          During the time we were on Walkure we sailed 3 of the Great Lakes and made two 100 mile+ crossings on the Gulf. We also sailed the Chesapeake and crossed the sounds in the Carolinas. She's a rugged, sturdy boat and the only drawback is the thumping of the waves on the flat bottom. 6 foot seas would not be comfortable, but not dangerous.

                          Walkure is now for sale again. Look for "Simply Sailing" online. We'd love to have her back but financially could not make it work. We would like to see her in the hands of someone who would love her and use her as we did.

                        • Harry James