Re: [bolger] Re: Big Sharpie?

  • Jeff Gilbert
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 3, 1997
      Frank, Some comments
      *If I were crossing the atlantic in a mono id simply put a keel on,
      and site tankage low to return positive ultimate bouyancy.
      *Most of the long sharpies are pretty narrow length:beam, so
      this shouldnt be too hard.
      *If you are a resonable seaman, can get adequate rest on passage,
      I reckon youd be fine.
      *Most monos in a storm can handle more than their crew.
      * Grand Banks fisherman dont seem afraid of flat bottoms
      in a seaway, even with a few ton of fish flopping
      around the deck., & a big sail area.
      Jeff Gilbert

      Frank says ****************************************
      I do have questions about the sea-worthiness of
      the AS39, and sharpies in general, because I would like to cross the
      Atlantic when I retire and spend a summer (or longer) in Europe
    • Jeff Gilbert
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 3, 1997
        Chris
        What I mean is I dont know what Im talking about
        in this instance.
        Was under impression some of the mother
        ships were big dories.
        Better keep to stuff I know.
        Thanks.
        Jeff.

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 31, 2000
            Volume 18- Number 7 MAIB Aug 15 2000. " Steel Auxiliary Sailing
            Narrowboat." Pg 26.

            HJ

            Phil Smith wrote:

            > > See message 6176, re Keel Sharpie 55.
            > >
            > > I also just read somewhere about a Bolger-proposal for a big metal
            > > sharpie for an Atlantic crossing and European canal cruising. In the
            > > write-up, he indicated (this is my summary) that it was too much of a
            > > stretch and would be very uncomfortable at sea, and probably not a
            > > good idea all around.
            > >

            > I hope not. He's designing something like that for me.
            >
            > Phil Smith
            >
            > Bolger rules!!!
            > - no cursing
            > - stay on topic