Modified Bolger Bobcat

  • david.chambers49221@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 8, 2014

      Hello all-

      I recently purchased a Bolger Bobcat that has a cabin and has been set up for cruising.  While I do not plan to use it as a cruiser I liked the looks and history of the boat.  I have a sister who enjoys sailing and may use the boat on occasion when I'm not available.  She is unable to raise the sail, too much friction I suppose with the lines running through the slots at the top of the mast (forgive my lack of proper terminology). Anyone ever use blocks at the top of the mast instead?  Seems like this would help, wondering about block size and everything. Any thoughts?

      Dave

    • trimaran
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 8, 2014
        Dave,
        If your halyard is running through a slot cut in the mast (a dumb sheave), a real sheave or block would help.
        Duckworks sells blocks and sheaves (http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware.htm) which are usually sized by the diameter of the line. I imagine your using 1/4 inch (or maybe 3/8 inch) line?
        I don't think you'll want a swivel block since it might twist, and twist your halyard.
        Bill in Texas
        Long Micro Pugnacious
      • david.chambers49221@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 9, 2014
          Bill- Looks like that could be the answer. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
        • Cod
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 9, 2014
            Holes in wood are often called bee blocks. If they are properly rounded and rubbed with paraffin (candle or bees wax) they can work fine. Hole may be too small for the rope.

            What kind of line is the halyard? On a small boat polypropylene can work since its slippery, doesn't stretch much, is cheap. Don't use it for a sheet, though, and of course too much sunlight kills it in a few years.

            Otherwise, sure, tie a block or blocks up there. My Cheap Pages have some suggested gaff halyard rigging layouts - I believe under the Conor O Brien subheading.

            Don't skimp if you get blocks, buy Ronstan or Harken, you're only buying a few and their small boat blocks are cheap, relatively speaking.

            Whack-boing! It's dub!
            ====================

          • gefinn_othni
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 9, 2014

              ---In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <dchamb@...> wrote :

              hello sir,

              i'd love to see some pics of the boat. sounds pretty cool.

              vince

              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 9, 2014

                I have created a file of "Spark" the modified Bobcat.  3 of the photos are from Howard Rice, the previous owner. One is mine.  More will follow when and if I get around to taking them.

                Sorry to all for the system sending out multiple notices of pictures being posted.  Just getting the hang of this Yahoo group thing.

                Dave

              • phil.bolger
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 10, 2014
                  Awfully cute, as Phil might remark.
                  - What are the ergonomics of the cuddy on this 12-footer ?
                  - Is the rudder deeper to make up for the missing endplate ?

                  Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

                    Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 10:56 PM

                    I have created a file of "Spark" the modified Bobcat.  3 of the photos are from Howard Rice, the previous owner. One is mine.  More will follow when and if I get around to taking them.

                    Sorry to all for the system sending out multiple notices of pictures being posted.  Just getting the hang of this Yahoo group thing.

                    Dave

                  • Mark Albanese
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 10, 2014

                      I wouldn't guess there's much room to move around in there.

                      The advantage comes from additional self righting, the lockup, and the irresistible miniature cruiser looks.

                      Nicely done. The house looks perfectly proportioned

                      Mark

                      Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 10:56 PM

                      I have created a file of "Spark" the modified Bobcat.  3 of the photos are from Howard Rice, the previous owner. One is mine.  More will follow when and if I get around to taking them.

                      Sorry to all for the system sending out multiple notices of pictures being posted.  Just getting the hang of this Yahoo group thing.

                      Dave

                    • Dennis Mcfadden
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 10, 2014
                        There was a similar Bob Cat at the Pt. Townsend Small Craft Skills Academy and  sailed by Andrew. He is not a small guy but  seemed to be totally happy with his cozy accommodations. It looked a little claustrophobic to me though ...

                        Dennis

                        To: bolger@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 10, 2014
                          ..of course there is this gentleman from Transylvania who sleeps in a much smaller wooden ‘habitat’.  And that despite his dental geometries of distinct configuration...

                          Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

                          Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2014 6:48 PM
                          Subject: RE: [bolger] Re: Modified Bolger Bobcat

                          To: bolger@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 11, 2014

                            First and foremost I wish to make it clear that I did not build or commission this boat.  My only part in all of this was shelling out some cash.

                            The boat was built in Washington, so it indeed may have been the Pt. Townsend Small Craft Skills Academy. After several years out there it was purchased by Howard Rice who is associated with Pt. Townsend and writes for the Small Craft Advisor.  He brought it to Michigan and has been sailing it here.  He sold it on eBay to me.

                            I'm also in Michigan (Adrian)..

                            Howard used it for cruising and slept on it.  I am 6'4" and cannot completely stretch out inside.  Luckily I am tall but not big so I could sleep inside.  There is one bunk on one side and sitting room on the other.  I really have no plans to cruise.  In a couple of years when I retire I hope to build a boat so I guess Spark in my introduction to that world.  We'll see if that ever happens, my woodworking skills are limited, at best.

                            The rudder does not have a plate and is one thing I will look to add.  A web search should give me ideas.  I guess a plate was never installed because the boat has always been sailed on big water.  What's lost in steering is made up in safety.

                            So, I'll have some fun with the boat for a while and we'll see.  Only owned one boat in my life (out of 20+) that I've kept for more than a couple of years.

                            Fair winds...

                            Dave

                          • John Kohnen
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 11, 2014
                              Nice looking little boat! What's safer about a rudder without an end plate?

                              A little catboat inspired by the Bobcat shows up for the Wooden Boat
                              Festival in Port Townsend every year. Jean Alden was stretched a couple of
                              feet:

                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohnen/8366881117/in/set-72157632488786260

                              On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 07:41:28 -0700, dave C wrote:

                              > The rudder does not have a plate and is one thing I will look to add. A
                              > web search should give me ideas. I guess a plate was never installed
                              > because the boat has always been sailed on big water. What's lost in
                              > steering is made up in safety.

                              John (jkohnen@...)
                              A free society is a place where it's safe to be unpopular. (Adlai
                              Stevenson)
                            • John Trussell
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 11, 2014
                                There are a number of small Cape Cod Cats around. The Beetle Cat is the
                                prototype, but with traditional plank on frame construction, it isn't
                                suitable for dry sailing. Bolger drew up Tiny Cat as a plywood substitute
                                for a Beetle. I suspect that the picture is of Gardeners Tom Cat which is a
                                slightly enlarged version of a Beetle Cat with a cuddy and bench seating.
                                Gardner tells the story in his book The Making of Tom Cat and every few
                                years, the Wooden Boat School builds a hull as an exercise in cold molding.

                                IMHO, building any cat boat is a major project and larger versions are more
                                useful boats.

                                JohnT

                                Nice looking little boat! What's safer about a rudder without an end plate?

                                A little catboat inspired by the Bobcat shows up for the Wooden Boat
                                Festival in Port Townsend every year. Jean Alden was stretched a couple of
                                feet:

                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohnen/8366881117/in/set-72157632488786260

                                On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 07:41:28 -0700, dave C wrote:

                                > The rudder does not have a plate and is one thing I will look to add. A
                                > web search should give me ideas. I guess a plate was never installed
                                > because the boat has always been sailed on big water. What's lost in
                                > steering is made up in safety.

                                John (jkohnen@...)
                                A free society is a place where it's safe to be unpopular. (Adlai
                                Stevenson)

                                ------------------------------------

                                ------------------------------------

                                Bolger rules!!!
                                - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead
                                horses
                                (978) 282-1349
                                ------------------------------------

                                Yahoo Groups Links
                              • John Kohnen
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 12, 2014
                                  No, Mike's catboat is based on Bolger's Bobcat: "I started with Phil
                                  Bolger’s design for the twelve-foot Bob Cat, scaled it up to fourteen
                                  feet, added a small cabin and copied the rig from a Crosby catboat
                                  described in a monograph by Barry Thomas. I also modified the stem profile
                                  to have the tumblehome that is characteristic of this traditional design."
                                  It's a Good Boat, and I look forward to seeing her, and Mike, every
                                  September. She was one of the few small boats that went out for the brisk
                                  Sunday sail-by after the 2012 Wooden Boat festival:

                                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohnen/8367956204/in/set-72157632488786260

                                  On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 17:32:22 -0700, John T wrote:

                                  > There are a number of small Cape Cod Cats around. The Beetle Cat is the
                                  > prototype, but with traditional plank on frame construction, it isn't
                                  > suitable for dry sailing. Bolger drew up Tiny Cat as a plywood substitute
                                  > for a Beetle. I suspect that the picture is of Gardeners Tom Cat which
                                  > is a
                                  > slightly enlarged version of a Beetle Cat with a cuddy and bench seating.
                                  > Gardner tells the story in his book The Making of Tom Cat and every few
                                  > years, the Wooden Boat School builds a hull as an exercise in cold
                                  > molding.

                                  John (jkohnen@...)
                                  The trouble with the school of experience is that the graduates are too
                                  old to go to work. (Henry Ford)
                                • John Kohnen
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 12, 2014
                                    As described in Wm Garden's (a NW treasure!) book, Tom Cat is built
                                    carvel, with the seams then stuffed with epoxy goo and the hull sheathed
                                    in fiberglass. Of course one could modify the design for cold-molded
                                    construction...

                                    On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 17:32:22 -0700, John T wrote:

                                    > I suspect that the picture is of Gardeners Tom Cat which is a
                                    > slightly enlarged version of a Beetle Cat with a cuddy and bench seating.
                                    > Gardner tells the story in his book The Making of Tom Cat and every few
                                    > years, the Wooden Boat School builds a hull as an exercise in cold
                                    > molding.

                                    John (jkohnen@...)
                                    There is only one honest impulse at the bottom of Puritanism, and that is
                                    the impulse to punish the man with a superior capacity for happiness. (H.
                                    L. Mencken)
                                  • thedumbox2
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 12, 2014

                                      Here is a video link to that boat on a blustery day in SF Bay. Looks very capable!

                                      Wild 'n Wet South Bay Day

                                    • c.ruzer
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 12, 2014
                                        All sizes | 43-JeanAlden | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

                                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohnen/8365978985/

                                      • John Kohnen
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jul 12, 2014
                                          A few more:

                                          https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=jean%20alden%20boat

                                          --
                                          John (jkohnen@...)
                                          History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jul 16, 2014
                                            Howard Rice also discussed the Spark last year on the Wooden Boat Forum:

                                            http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?169048-Tweaking-the-Bolger-Bobcat-design

                                            Look for post #10 and comments further down in the thread. I frankly
                                            think it's a cool boat, but definitely meant for cruising alone. It's
                                            a neat variant on the Bobcat design.

                                            Michael Seitz
                                            Missoula MT

                                            ---

                                            The #1 Worst Carb Ever?
                                            Click to Learn #1 Carb that Kills Your Blood Sugar (Don't Eat This!)
                                            http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/53c6c5fa8911045f94507st04vuc
                                          • c.ruzer
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jul 18, 2014

                                              Thanks for the link. Interesting. Aint that Spark a sweet looking Bobcat microcruiser!

                                              I suppose similar might be done with the high sided version of Catfish beachcruiser? One might worry less about a squall hitting in the middle of the night as Howard was in the Spark cabin. What was it Susanne wrote about Catfish, something about it being for those wanting capsize resistance with no lead-pouring involved in boat building?

                                            • flyingtrolleycars
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Dec 16, 2014
                                                Cool that you ended up with the boat, Dave!  It was much loved while I owned it up in Seattle.  The original builder was a shop Anacortes (I think, check the HIN plate), the cabin was added by a clever guy up in Mukilteo named Robert and while I owned it she had the name "Bob's Cat".

                                                I sailed it 100's of miles on the Puget Sound from Gig Harbor up to Whidbey Island and a few cruises around the Port Townsend area.  I even sailed her in the Seattle Yacht Club's opening day parade in the dressed sail class - signal flags and garlands!  I spent many nights aboard and found her very comfortable (there are a few tricks to keep the bow from "slapping" on the chop).

                                                Looking forward to hearing how you get on with her!

                                              • flyingtrolleycars
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Dec 17, 2014
                                                  Here are some photos from it's former life out here in Seattle: Phil Bolger's Boats

                                                • david.chambers49221@ymail.com
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Dec 17, 2014

                                                    Thanks for the pictures and additional history on my boat, Spark.  She looks pretty much the same except that Howard put orange water line stripes on her.  I replaced the plexiglass hatch cover with wood and like the looks, will be doing maintenance and probably changing the stripe color in the spring (not and orange fan). It's such a fun and stable boat, will keep her around until I can someday build a boat of my own or find something a few feet longer.  Picture someone 6'5" squeezing into the cabin of a 12' boat.....

                                                    Dave

                                                  • Andrew Jacobs
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Dec 18, 2014
                                                      Yeah, I'm 6'2" and had some funny nights with both my wife and I in that cabin.  The size issue got me interested in the new 18' catboat project I'm on now.

                                                    • Yaacov Levi
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Dec 19, 2014
                                                        Thanks for adding me.
                                                        Jake