Bolger Junebug

  • bobnsandy9295
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 16, 2014

      New to group but recently purchased a Junebug that was set up for rowing. I have added "skids" to bottom, resealed fore and aft bulkheads, and totally repainted. Boat is not fiberglassed; painted plywood only. I plan to use a 75 sg. ft. lateen sail from a Sunfish plus the foils from the same.

      Any suggestions for where I should step the mast? Some have told me the center of effort should be in front of  the leeboard but a Michalak essay states it should be aft of the centerboard in order to provide weather helm. Help! Also, any suggestions for installing a swing leeboard? Tampa bay is quite shallow!

      Thanks for any and all (reasonable) suggestions.

      BobfromSWOhio (and Tampa Bay in the winter)

    • Dennis Mcfadden
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 16, 2014
        Many / most of the Michalak boats have a simple and effective lee board setup. Check his designs, it'll give you a pretty good idea how to go about it.

        Dennis / Scram Pram

        To: bolger@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 16, 2014
          ...isn’t it a clip-on leeboard ?
          No-board broad-reaching on a deeper-Vee chine might be interesting - if you can keep her there..

          Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

          Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:59 PM
          Subject: RE: [bolger] Bolger Junebug

          To: bolger@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 16, 2014

            Both the June bug and Michalak's plans show the COE right in line with the after edge of the board.

            Jim has published variously on how to install his patented type.

            There are enough boats around with the single bolt style that uses the side for backing to make that worth a try. Bolger shows a few. Simplicity Boats goes into some detail.

            Stick on a plywood reinforcement on the inside if needed, and if your boat was built to plan with inside chines, you'll be good to go.

            Congratulations.

            On Jan 16, 2014 5:28 PM, <bobnsandy9295@...> wrote:

            New to group but recently purchased a Junebug that was set up for rowing. I have added "skids" to bottom, resealed fore and aft bulkheads, and totally repainted. Boat is not fiberglassed; painted plywood only. I plan to use a 75 sg. ft. lateen sail from a Sunfish plus the foils from the same.

            Any suggestions for where I should step the mast? Some have told me the center of effort should be in front of  the leeboard but a Michalak essay states it should be aft of the centerboard in order to provide weather helm. Help! Also, any suggestions for installing a swing leeboard? Tampa bay is quite shallow!

            Thanks for any and all (reasonable) suggestions.

            BobfromSWOhio (and Tampa Bay in the winter)

          • Steve Statkus

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 17, 2014

                Thanks to all for the advice. Steve: I live just north of Hillsboro in Highland County not too far from Rocky Fork Lake. About 55mile east of Cincy.

              • dvacanti
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 19 3:53 PM
                  I know this is an old thread but I just saw it. I have a Junebug that I built back in 2000. I built the leeboard as designed and broke it the very first time I used it. I changed to a Michalak pivoting type and I am very happy with it. When the board is all the way down it is in the same spot as the designed board. I use an auto-release clam cleat to hold it down.
                • Bill Howard
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 19 5:07 PM
                    My June, built in 2007, used Bolger's leeboard, but Michalaks rudder.

                    The kick up rudder made her a dream to sail right up to--and onto--the beach.

                    Bill Howard
                    Nellysford VA

                    Sent from my iPhone