RE: [bolger] Best way to trim excess lead when making a weighted rudder or keel

  • Mason Smith
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 31, 2013

      I think my earlier answer went astray. Lead planes and saws very easily with woodworking tools. I grew up in the home a country newspaperman and worked in the shop. We sawed lead all the time.

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 31, 2013

        For my Micro keel the lead needed to be 1.5” thick. I bought it in ingots of that thickness, and close to the maximum USPS weight, which makes it cheap to mail. The ingots were uneven in thickness. I ran them through a portable planer.

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 31, 2013
          IF there is some big parts of excess it's faster to use a SHARP wood
          chisel.. The one I have works but the soft ones may not. Good luck,,
          Chief.

          On 8/31/13, Mason Smith <goodboat@...> wrote:
          > For my Micro keel the lead needed to be 1.5" thick. I bought it in ingots
          > of
          > that thickness, and close to the maximum USPS weight, which makes it cheap
          > to mail. The ingots were uneven in thickness. I ran them through a portable
          > planer.

        • BruceHallman
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 5, 2013
            I had success cutting the lead casting for my Micro using a Skil saw.
          • Stefan Topolski
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 13, 2013
              Hello Mason,

              Thank you for your enthusiastic vote for constant camber.  I'm sure once i tried it i'd realize how fun and easy it can be.

              We don't have the money, though, nor interest now in those larger designs.

              For the SeaClipper 20 I was wondering if you could build the amas/floats to speed up the process while i worked on the main hull.  Along with that the plans called for 1/4" plywood and between rot, checking, weight, stiffness, # plies and best suppliers I wanted your expert opinion on where to look to buy the materials.

              In the interim we got socked with some big expenses last week which will take us until spring to retire away, so I guess I'll just go the normal quicker cheaper way to sail with a used Hobie 18 stock catamaran from somewhere to sail next year.

              We would all still appreciate your advice on the forum, I'm sure of that, and I do hope and pray that you and your family are hale and hearty and doing well up in your beautiful country.

              All the Best,
              Stefan

              ... We too often see what we want to see for the reassurance of believing what we already believe ...

              c. 413 768-9100
            • Mason Smith
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 13, 2013

                I’d be glad to build all or part of a Seaclipper 20. Normally I use oukoume ply which I can buy locally.