AS-29

  • George
    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 31, 2013
      I bought a trailer I think will work for my AS-29. The trailer has moble home axles with brakes rusted beyond repair. I want to install new axles but do not know what the boat weighs. I believe i have seen everything from 6,000 to 8,300. To sail her she feels much lighter than that. If she weighed 5,000 empty then I could get away with 3,500# axles if 8,300 then I need 5,000# axles. There is a significant difference in price. Any thoughts?
    • John Dalziel
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 31, 2013
        These boats tend to come out at about design weight, I think 7300# as Rod said. Mine was on her lines when I first rebuilt her. No longer, though, when she's full of cruising stuff. I'd recommend allowing for 8500# plus the weight of the trailer. I used to have a modified 10,500#-capacity flatbed, three-axle trailer, which was overkill.

        Depending on the cost of the axles, consider having the trailer refitted for three axles; then you'll be fine with the 3500# axles, and your tire life will be a lot better. Welding for these kinds of jobs is routine and isn't expensive.