Re: [bolger] #501

  • BruceHallman
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6, 2013
      That is a big boat, 250-300 sheets of 1/2 plywood is my guess.  A fast, rough build probably could be estimated to take about 10 manhours per sheet.  So, 3,000 manhours is the fast estimate, and $50K would be the cheap end.  If you get into gold plating, or navel gazing those numbers could go up to infinity.

      To make your own estimate I strongly suggest building a 1 inch to the foot scale model using cardboard.  Then keep notes of all the pieces and steps.

      On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM, Darrell <dario2rnr@...> wrote:

      Thanks a ton for all the 3-d drawings of #501! Question: roughly how much lumber, and what dimensions, will be needed, and what's the estimated total cost? Just ballpark numbers....

      Thanks
      Darrell Turner

    • tompee77

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2013
          I take it this is the liveaboard scow schooner 35' x 11'8"
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger/files/Liveaboard%20Scow%20Schooner/

          I beg to differ with Bruce on this materials though. My first guess was that it would take about 120 sheets based on the 70-80 sheets required for loose moose 2 (Info from Bob Wise tallies closely with my calculation from plans and model). I agree that models are a great way to go.

          From the article and isometrics my guess is that the panels were designed to be planked from 36' lengths which is 4.5 lengthwise sheets or 9 crosswise sheets.

          My guess is:

          Bottom panel      18 sheets (double 9)
          Bilge panels         18 sheets (double 4.5 each side)
          Side panels          9 sheets (single 4.5 each side lengthwise)
          Deck                      13 sheets
          Bulkheads            12 sheets (3 each BH - overestimated)
          Transoms.             3 sheets
          Total.     73 sheets + 25% misc. interior = about 100 sheets.

          No idea what cost would be where you are. I think I would use 15mm ply instead of 12mm (1/2") if possible for the bottom and bilge panels. You would save 9 sheets if the bilge panels were not doubled. The reason I get less sheets than I estimated above is because the interior is less cut up than Loose Moose as well as the boat being 4' shorter.

          Just my thoughts.

          Best regards.

          David

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, tompee77 wrote:

          > what boat is 501?
          >

          > From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.BruceHallman hallman@... wrote:That is a big boat, 250-300 sheets of 1/2 plywood is my guess.  A fast, rough build probably could be estimated to take about 10 manhours per sheet.  So, 3,000 manhours is the fast estimate, and $50K would be the cheap end.  If you get into gold plating, or navel gazing those numbers could go up to infinity.
          >
          > To make your own estimate I strongly suggest building a 1 inch to the foot scale model using cardboard.  Then keep notes of all the pieces and steps.
          >

          > On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM, Darrell dario2rnr@... wrote:
          >
          > Thanks a ton for all the 3-d drawings of #501! Question: roughly how much lumber, and what dimensions, will be needed, and what's the estimated total cost? Just ballpark numbers....
          >
          > Thanks
          > Darrell Turner

        • BruceHallman
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 7, 2013
            I think David's estimate is better than mine.  And we both agree that building a model would be an excellent idea to work through the detailing issues.

            On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM, David <dir_cobb@...> wrote:

            I take it this is the liveaboard scow schooner 35' x 11'8"

            I beg to differ with Bruce on this materials though.
          • Darrell
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 14, 2013
              Thanks for the estimate on the number of sheets of ply....Dave seigler made slac ktide from exterior grade ply.....I'm really looking to build #501 as a proof of concept sailing houseboat....any of you live in social? I would need Lot's a help