Re: 10ft Nano

  • g4mjw
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 25, 2013
      . . . . It's probably the one in the pictures on page 43 MAIB "Bolger on Design" NanoCruiser Water Beetle 10. " I recall reading a large portion of the box keel had to be flooded to get it down on its lines" That's good. With the 10ft version requiring even more ballast in the form of supplies, the heaviest being bottles of drinking water store deep down in the box keel. Now where do I stand? LOL

      Steve Carey
      AiT

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "daschultz8275@..." <daschultz8275@...> wrote:

      > An open version of the hull was built and tested by Bolger, though it may have been an 8 foot boat. I'm sure Bruce will remember.
      >
      > I recall reading a large portion of the box keel had to be flooded to get it down on its lines.
      >
      > Bolger was pleased with the result.
      >
      > Don
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, BruceHallman <hallman@> wrote:
      > >
      > > With the box keel, I think the LWL equals the overall length of the hull...

    • g4mjw
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 6, 2013
        Did you do any internal pictures Bruce? Perhaps nothing has been published but I do know that the plans ARE being completed.

        Steve
        AiT

        > With the box keel, I think the LWL equals the overall length of the hull
        > which is 10 feet. That box keel should maximize the displacement hull
        > speed, which will be pretty slow in any case...it is a very short boat.
        > Ideal for having lots of fun if making distance is not the objective.
      • Peter
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 7, 2013
          > An open version of the hull was built and tested by Bolger, though it may have been an 8 foot boat. I'm sure Bruce will remember.

          It makes an interesting comparison to Matt Layden's Sand Flea providing much more protection for the crew.
        • g4mjw
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 7, 2013
            I have seen pictures of the 8ft open boat it was mentioned earlier in this thread. An enclosed 10ft version for "One" has interesting possibilities. I might be the first to build one as soon as the plans are completed.

            Steve

          • daschultz8275@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 8, 2013
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "daschultz8275@..." <daschultz8275@...> wrote:

              > An open version of the hull was built and tested by Bolger, though it may have been an 8 foot boat.

              There was an MAIB article about the 8' version. Basically it was a Tortoise with the full length box keel added. At one time there was a scan of this MAIB on the net somewhere, I say that 'cause I remember reading it, but don't have it in my small collection.

              I am also sure it had a design number which means you can likely buy a plan for the 8' from PB&F. From what I've observed here, if Nano is not complete, then you would need to commission the completion to get the plans. Upside of that, is the PB&F plans I own are excellent.
            • g4mjw
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 8, 2013
                Yes you're right and I have since printed out the article which contains a brief specification and some information on the design. The 8' was an open boat (No cabin). It is design number 680 and Susanne is completing the plans shortly.

                Looks like a useful little boat for messing about on the water when the weather is no so good!

                Thanks

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "daschultz8275@..." <daschultz8275@...> wrote:

                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "daschultz8275@" <daschultz8275@> wrote:
                > >

                > > An open version of the hull was built and tested by Bolger, though it may have been an 8 foot boat.
                >
                > There was an MAIB article about the 8' version. Basically it was a Tortoise with the full length box keel added. At one time there was a scan of this MAIB on the net somewhere, I say that 'cause I remember reading it, but don't have it in my small collection.
                >
                > I am also sure it had a design number which means you can likely buy a plan for the 8' from PB&F. From what I've observed here, if Nano is not complete, then you would need to commission the completion to get the plans. Upside of that, is the PB&F plans I own are excellent.

              • BruceHallman
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 8, 2013
                  I haven't been reading this thread closely, but the Bolger prototype of a box keel hull in the 'Nano' family was called "Flying Cloud" if I am not mistaken.

                • g4mjw
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 8, 2013
                    . . . . Seen the picture, was that the 8' hull?

                    > I haven't been reading this thread closely, but the Bolger prototype of a
                    > box keel hull in the 'Nano' family was called "Flying Cloud" if I am not
                    > mistaken.
                    >
                    > http://i.imgur.com/M46QVfs.jpg

                  • Harry James
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 8, 2013
                      Here is a pic of the Tortoise version in Bolger's yard, I took it during the memorial

                      HJ

                      On 8/8/2013 7:40 AM, daschultz8275@... wrote:

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "daschultz8275@..." <daschultz8275@...> wrote:

                      An open version of the hull was built and tested by Bolger, though it may have been an 8 foot boat.

                      There was an MAIB article about the 8' version. Basically it was a Tortoise with the full length box keel added. At one time there was a scan of this MAIB on the net somewhere, I say that 'cause I remember reading it, but don't have it in my small collection.

                      I am also sure it had a design number which means you can likely buy a plan for the 8' from PB&F.  From what I've observed here, if Nano is not complete, then you would need to commission the completion to get the plans. Upside of that, is the PB&F plans I own are excellent.

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          bolger-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          bolger-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Harry James
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 8, 2013
                        I should have read on before responding, Bruce was standing next to me when we both took pictures.

                        HJ

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 8, 2013
                          On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:
                          Here is a pic of the Tortoise version in Bolger's yard, I took it during the memorial

                          With, I believe, me standing the the background of your picture!
                        • Harry James
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 8, 2013
                            Yep, that be you.

                            HJ