Re: Fast Motorsailor

  • David
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013
      I too measured about 2' for the transom cut which is why I asked the question. Short shafts are usually 15" and long shafts 20". Ultra long would be 25". I've never seen a 35HP UL so guessed I was reading wrong.

      Outboard literature says you should be aiming for transom height + 1" when selecting the outboard.

      > You could do worse,
      >
      > I'm certain Phil took great pleasure in this design. For those who
      > haven't a copy of BWAOM, here's how he concludes.
      > "It's my belief that there never has before existed such a
      > combination of sailing performance, power performance, usable space,
      > lightness and compactness, and low cost."
      >
      > The top of the motor board looks to be just under two feet above the
      > bottom. Doesn't that imply a long shaft?
      > Mark
      >

      > On Jul 18, 2013, at 9:46 AM, David wrote:
      >
      > > Mark
      > >
      > > Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much. The model
      > > tempts me more and more. It's almost worth building just to get
      > > high resolution pictures...
      > >
      > > I can understand that few have been built and that resale value
      > > would be low. However, as with Oldshoe, I am attracted by the fact it:
      > >
      > > - will perform astonishingly well
      > > - can be built at low cost
      > > - can be built in short stints
      > > - will bother most conventional boating people
      > >
      > > I fear I am hooked...
      > >
      > > BTW: Can anyone please confirm whether the design uses a long or
      > > short shaft motor.
      > >
      > > Best regards,
      > >
      > > David

    • Mark Albanese
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013

        David,

        I actually got 21" but at the small scale didn't want to take it for gospel.