Re: Fast Motorsailor

  • daschultz8275@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013
      I feel certain you will have the freedom to finish out the motor transom to the height needed for your motor choice.

      Bolger did a number of motorsailers using similar design philosophy ranging from the FMS discussed here, the 30' Alaskan motor-sailer, up the the 100' Sir Joseph Banks, a steel inter-island freighter. The Alaskan was also a small freighter. (I don't have the Alaskan name quite right) I likely haven't seen them all.

      Based on reading the various essays, I think he took particular pride in these designs.

      Don

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dir_cobb@...> wrote:
      > BTW: Can anyone please confirm whether the design uses a long or short shaft motor.

    • David
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013
        I too measured about 2' for the transom cut which is why I asked the question. Short shafts are usually 15" and long shafts 20". Ultra long would be 25". I've never seen a 35HP UL so guessed I was reading wrong.

        Outboard literature says you should be aiming for transom height + 1" when selecting the outboard.

        > You could do worse,
        >
        > I'm certain Phil took great pleasure in this design. For those who
        > haven't a copy of BWAOM, here's how he concludes.
        > "It's my belief that there never has before existed such a
        > combination of sailing performance, power performance, usable space,
        > lightness and compactness, and low cost."
        >
        > The top of the motor board looks to be just under two feet above the
        > bottom. Doesn't that imply a long shaft?
        > Mark
        >

        > On Jul 18, 2013, at 9:46 AM, David wrote:
        >
        > > Mark
        > >
        > > Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much. The model
        > > tempts me more and more. It's almost worth building just to get
        > > high resolution pictures...
        > >
        > > I can understand that few have been built and that resale value
        > > would be low. However, as with Oldshoe, I am attracted by the fact it:
        > >
        > > - will perform astonishingly well
        > > - can be built at low cost
        > > - can be built in short stints
        > > - will bother most conventional boating people
        > >
        > > I fear I am hooked...
        > >
        > > BTW: Can anyone please confirm whether the design uses a long or
        > > short shaft motor.
        > >
        > > Best regards,
        > >
        > > David

      • Mark Albanese
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013

          David,

          I actually got 21" but at the small scale didn't want to take it for gospel.