Re: Fast Motorsailor

  • David
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 18, 2013
      Mark

      Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much. The model tempts me more and more. It's almost worth building just to get high resolution pictures...

      I can understand that few have been built and that resale value would be low. However, as with Oldshoe, I am attracted by the fact it:

      - will perform astonishingly well
      - can be built at low cost
      - can be built in short stints
      - will bother most conventional boating people

      I fear I am hooked...

      BTW: Can anyone please confirm whether the design uses a long or short shaft motor.

      Best regards,

      David
    • Mark Albanese
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013
        You could do worse,

        I'm certain Phil took great pleasure in this design. For those who haven't a copy of BWAOM, here's how he concludes.
        "It's my belief that there never has before existed such a combination of sailing performance, power performance, usable space, lightness and compactness, and low cost."

        The top of the motor board looks to be just under two feet above the bottom. Doesn't that imply a long shaft?
        Mark

      • daschultz8275@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013
          I feel certain you will have the freedom to finish out the motor transom to the height needed for your motor choice.

          Bolger did a number of motorsailers using similar design philosophy ranging from the FMS discussed here, the 30' Alaskan motor-sailer, up the the 100' Sir Joseph Banks, a steel inter-island freighter. The Alaskan was also a small freighter. (I don't have the Alaskan name quite right) I likely haven't seen them all.

          Based on reading the various essays, I think he took particular pride in these designs.

          Don

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013
            I too measured about 2' for the transom cut which is why I asked the question. Short shafts are usually 15" and long shafts 20". Ultra long would be 25". I've never seen a 35HP UL so guessed I was reading wrong.

            Outboard literature says you should be aiming for transom height + 1" when selecting the outboard.

            > You could do worse,
            >
            > I'm certain Phil took great pleasure in this design. For those who
            > haven't a copy of BWAOM, here's how he concludes.
            > "It's my belief that there never has before existed such a
            > combination of sailing performance, power performance, usable space,
            > lightness and compactness, and low cost."
            >
            > The top of the motor board looks to be just under two feet above the
            > bottom. Doesn't that imply a long shaft?
            > Mark
            >

            > On Jul 18, 2013, at 9:46 AM, David wrote:
            >
            > > Mark
            > >
            > > Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much. The model
            > > tempts me more and more. It's almost worth building just to get
            > > high resolution pictures...
            > >
            > > I can understand that few have been built and that resale value
            > > would be low. However, as with Oldshoe, I am attracted by the fact it:
            > >
            > > - will perform astonishingly well
            > > - can be built at low cost
            > > - can be built in short stints
            > > - will bother most conventional boating people
            > >
            > > I fear I am hooked...
            > >
            > > BTW: Can anyone please confirm whether the design uses a long or
            > > short shaft motor.
            > >
            > > Best regards,
            > >
            > > David

          • Mark Albanese
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013

              David,

              I actually got 21" but at the small scale didn't want to take it for gospel.