Re: Fast Motorsailor

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 18 2:19 AM
      From the Flickerhivemind this is it. (Bruce, you always come thru, though you may have forgotten where you put it.)

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/86125870@N00/55633782
      http://farm1.static.flickr.com/28/55633781_ef6c2ed525_m.jpg

      On Jul 16, 2013, at 10:22 AM, daschultz8275@... wrote:

      There are/were some pics of an FMS under sail, but I don't have the links anymore. They weren't really very good quality.

      I seem to remember them being mixed in with some other Bolger boat pics and not ID'd as FMS.

      I know also the design was tweaked with a 2nd rudder on the other side. You might check out Bruce Hallman's Freeship renderings.

      IMO it is a pretty amazing design.

      Don

    • David
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 18 9:46 AM
        Mark

        Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much. The model tempts me more and more. It's almost worth building just to get high resolution pictures...

        I can understand that few have been built and that resale value would be low. However, as with Oldshoe, I am attracted by the fact it:

        - will perform astonishingly well
        - can be built at low cost
        - can be built in short stints
        - will bother most conventional boating people

        I fear I am hooked...

        BTW: Can anyone please confirm whether the design uses a long or short shaft motor.

        Best regards,

        David
      • Mark Albanese
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 19 12:30 AM
          You could do worse,

          I'm certain Phil took great pleasure in this design. For those who haven't a copy of BWAOM, here's how he concludes.
          "It's my belief that there never has before existed such a combination of sailing performance, power performance, usable space, lightness and compactness, and low cost."

          The top of the motor board looks to be just under two feet above the bottom. Doesn't that imply a long shaft?
          Mark

        • daschultz8275@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 19 7:25 AM
            I feel certain you will have the freedom to finish out the motor transom to the height needed for your motor choice.

            Bolger did a number of motorsailers using similar design philosophy ranging from the FMS discussed here, the 30' Alaskan motor-sailer, up the the 100' Sir Joseph Banks, a steel inter-island freighter. The Alaskan was also a small freighter. (I don't have the Alaskan name quite right) I likely haven't seen them all.

            Based on reading the various essays, I think he took particular pride in these designs.

            Don

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 19 3:51 PM
              I too measured about 2' for the transom cut which is why I asked the question. Short shafts are usually 15" and long shafts 20". Ultra long would be 25". I've never seen a 35HP UL so guessed I was reading wrong.

              Outboard literature says you should be aiming for transom height + 1" when selecting the outboard.

              > You could do worse,
              >
              > I'm certain Phil took great pleasure in this design. For those who
              > haven't a copy of BWAOM, here's how he concludes.
              > "It's my belief that there never has before existed such a
              > combination of sailing performance, power performance, usable space,
              > lightness and compactness, and low cost."
              >
              > The top of the motor board looks to be just under two feet above the
              > bottom. Doesn't that imply a long shaft?
              > Mark
              >

              > On Jul 18, 2013, at 9:46 AM, David wrote:
              >
              > > Mark
              > >
              > > Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much. The model
              > > tempts me more and more. It's almost worth building just to get
              > > high resolution pictures...
              > >
              > > I can understand that few have been built and that resale value
              > > would be low. However, as with Oldshoe, I am attracted by the fact it:
              > >
              > > - will perform astonishingly well
              > > - can be built at low cost
              > > - can be built in short stints
              > > - will bother most conventional boating people
              > >
              > > I fear I am hooked...
              > >
              > > BTW: Can anyone please confirm whether the design uses a long or
              > > short shaft motor.
              > >
              > > Best regards,
              > >
              > > David

            • Mark Albanese
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 19 3:57 PM

                David,

                I actually got 21" but at the small scale didn't want to take it for gospel.