Need advice on Micro mast step

  • Liam the Librarian
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 11 7:05 AM
      I've purchased a partially completed Micro along with plans. The plans call for the mast step opening to be 10 inches from the back of the hole to the front of the boat. Right now it is 10 inches from the front of the hole. The step is bolted and glued. Partners, etc. have not been built

      Here are my possible options:
      1. do nothing and move partners, etc. aft
      2. try to cut the step out and replace
      3. make hole in the step larger and put plate or something to bring it back to proper size.
      I'm leaning towards #3 as I am nervous changing Bolger's proportions and I'm afraid I'll break other things removing the current step. I've tried a gentle pry and nothing seems remotely close the budging.

      Do people have other ideas. If not which approach should I take?
    • captainrocky99
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 11 7:22 AM
        You are not off by that much when you consider the size of the hole. I would leave it alone. Rocky

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 11 10:23 PM
          Yes that mast collar is likely  held in place with epoxy and probably bolts. What dimensions are the hole? About 31/2 x 31/2"? One option might be to install another collar right over it with the hole in the correct spot? Epoxy blocks in the old hole first to keep out moisture and install the new collar with lag bolts.  I would cut a  channel going out from the bottom of the new one so water can drain out and not lie in the hole. And impregnate everything with epoxy including the channel.

          Nels

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Liam the Librarian" wrote:

          > I've purchased a partially completed Micro along with plans. The plans
          > call for the mast step opening to be 10 inches from the back of the hole
          > to the front of the boat. Right now it is 10 inches from the front of
          > the hole. The step is bolted and glued. Partners, etc. have not been
          > built
          > Here are my possible options:
          > 1. do nothing and move partners, etc. aft
          > 2. try to cut the step out and replace
          > 3. make hole in the step larger and put plate or something to bring
          > it back to proper size.
          > I'm leaning towards #3 as I am nervous changing Bolger's proportions and
          > I'm afraid I'll break other things removing the current step. I've tried
          > a gentle pry and nothing seems remotely close the budging.
          > Do people have other ideas. If not which approach should I take?

        • Mason Smith
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 12 5:51 AM

            Liam, the rake of the mast on the Micro is critical, at least to the eye, so I advise being fussy about those measurements. Much can be done with the partners, surely, but you want that step to be in just the right place. When you do the partners, I suggest leveling the boat carefully and setting the mast in its step and seeing just how deep to notch the partner for the forward side of it, to give an appreciable rake. The main wants a little, the mizzen a little more. The mast may not be to exactly to plan in the foot section, so start with the step in the right place, and adjust with how you notch the partner. That’s my advice, at least. ---Mason

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 12 10:58 AM

              Liam,

              I’d cut out the back section of the current top piece forming an open slot towards the back. Next, put another  piece of ply over that with the hole in the correct space. Extend the bottom bracing with something the right thickness so the new top piece lines up and is supported all around. The only change to the mast position then is being 5/8” or so higher and you can even take that out by beveling the new hole.

              Prairie dog,

              Micro’s mast sits in a free flooding well and the mast step is higher than the drains, so no worry on that point.

              MylesJ

            • dnjost
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 13 6:21 AM
                Hmmm. I am thinking that options 2and3 are best. I am concerned that the rake induced by the wrong location of the step will through the rigs balance off.
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Liam the Librarian" <liamhe@...> wrote:

                > I've purchased a partially completed Micro along with plans. The plans
                > call for the mast step opening to be 10 inches from the back of the hole
                > to the front of the boat. Right now it is 10 inches from the front of
                > the hole. The step is bolted and glued. Partners, etc. have not been
                > built
                > Here are my possible options:
                > 1. do nothing and move partners, etc. aft
                > 2. try to cut the step out and replace
                > 3. make hole in the step larger and put plate or something to bring
                > it back to proper size.
                > I'm leaning towards #3 as I am nervous changing Bolger's proportions and
                > I'm afraid I'll break other things removing the current step. I've tried
                > a gentle pry and nothing seems remotely close the budging.
                > Do people have other ideas. If not which approach should I take?

              • David
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 15 8:53 AM
                  Liam

                  I would enlarge the hole in the existing step by half the mast section and notch the bottom of the mast by the same amount so the mast ends in the correct location when pushed forward, ensuring it has something solid to bear on.

                  I would then add a plywood "doubler" over the original mast step with a hole cut in the right place for the mast and a filler piece for the excess hole in the original step screwed and glued to the bottom of the doubler. Once checked for fit, I would epoxy the doubler and filler in place and forget it was ever wrong.

                  Otherwise, removing the mast step and putting in a new one isn't as daunting as it looks. If you remove any bolts/screws you can find, a hammer and chisel will go quite fast for the bulk of it if you decide to go that way. I find coarse sandpaper disks in my 4 1/2" angle grinder make impressively quick work of any wood. You want to avoid this if there is epoxy and glass involved though.

                  David
                  Santiago, Chile

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

                  > Hmmm. I am thinking that options 2and3 are best. I am concerned that the rake induced by the wrong location of the step will through the rigs balance off.
                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Liam the Librarian" <liamhe@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I've purchased a partially completed Micro along with plans. The plans
                  > > call for the mast step opening to be 10 inches from the back of the hole
                  > > to the front of the boat. Right now it is 10 inches from the front of
                  > > the hole. The step is bolted and glued. Partners, etc. have not been
                  > > built
                  > > Here are my possible options:
                  > > 1. do nothing and move partners, etc. aft
                  > > 2. try to cut the step out and replace
                  > > 3. make hole in the step larger and put plate or something to bring
                  > > it back to proper size.
                  > > I'm leaning towards #3 as I am nervous changing Bolger's proportions and
                  > > I'm afraid I'll break other things removing the current step. I've tried
                  > > a gentle pry and nothing seems remotely close the budging.
                  > > Do people have other ideas. If not which approach should I take?

                • mason smith
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 15 2:01 PM

                    Arrgh! Take nothing off the foot of the mast whatever you do.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 15 3:48 PM
                      Liam

                      This is the beauty of the internet. You get input from all over the world but we don't usually agree on what we would do (or anything else for that matter).

                      I've just checked my Micro plans, and they show the 12" x 12" x 1 1/2" mast step (number 32) sitting on cleats 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" (number 31).

                      Mason is right in that it will be easier not to modify the mast. Just:

                      - extend the hole in the mast step to where it should be (I'd just use a jigsaw - on a block if necessary) taking care the blade can't hit the bottom in the bow.
                      - cut a filler block to patch the surplus 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" hole
                      - Add a 12" x 12" x 1" doubler on top of the mast step to reinforce and hold everything together including the filler block
                      - Epoxy and screw the whole thing together.
                      - Forget about it. No one will ever know and the boat won't mind.

                      (I probably would have done it the difficult way, and the boat wouldn't have minded either).

                      Best regards,

                      David

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 16 2:22 AM
                        This is the beauty of the internet. Here is what I think I'm going to do: I'll cut my new mast step hole, the aft end of which begins with the front end of the incorrectly placed hole. With my trusty router, I'll remove a 1/4 inch deep by 4 around the old hole. Then I'll glue and screw a plug for the old hole to 1/4 inch plywood cut to fit the area I've routed out (or perhaps vice versa). I'll glue and screw that over the hole. Then, on top of that, I'll glue and screw a new step. Voila! Easy as pie....