Re: [bolger] Re: LCU-F - PROCEEDINGS Magazine article 'pdf'

  • phil.bolger
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 7 6:00 PM
      For those more ‘thirst’ on the ‘big’ navy project – no, make that “monumental” as Bruce Hallman put it – here are the first stirrings of what I hope to eventually be vigorous online discussions amongst Sailors, Marines, Experts and ‘Nixperts’...
      This one is US Marine Corps-centric:   http://snafu-solomon.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-21st-century-landing-craft.html

      Could someone book me Tea-& Cookies with the CNO and the Commandant ?  Lot’s to discuss...

      Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

      Sent: Sunday, July 07, 2013 2:07 PM
      Subject: [bolger] Re: LCU-F - PROCEEDINGS Magazine article 'pdf'

      As a design-challenge neither leading aeronautic powerhouses of the US and Russia/Soviet Union ever got that done.
      Way more challenging than LCU-F.  Physics and cost might stand in the way...

      Back on smaller-craft design matters, to those who (still) do not read MAIB ‘as a matter of course’, the next issue will feature another here-to-fore unpublished Design.
      Bob Hicks of Wenham MA could be contacted at  maib.office@...  - the best way to ‘get it all’.

      Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

      Sent: Sunday, July 07, 2013 1:56 PM
      Subject: RE: LCU-F - PROCEEDINGS Magazine article 'pdf'

      Not at all.  Perhaps I didn’t put it very clearly.  The 12 LCU-Fs and 3 LCACs, etc. to land a one wave assault force is a grand idea.  But I also think that it would be grand if we had the capability to air land a tank company on short notice up to 100 miles inland.  We don’t with the existing air craft in the fleet.

      Yeah, it is kind of funny no one has thought of that…??   It is just so obvious!

      Have fun, SSK

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 8 12:40 AM
        Tough reading through the military acronyms but enlightend replies seem to heavily favor the concept.

        Joe T

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <philbolger@...> wrote:

        > For those more ‘thirst’ on the ‘big’ navy project â€" no, make that “monumental” as Bruce Hallman put it â€" here are the first stirrings of what I hope to eventually be vigorous online discussions amongst Sailors, Marines, Experts and ‘Nixperts’...
        > This one is US Marine Corps-centric: http://snafu-solomon.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-21st-century-landing-craft.html
        >
        > Could someone book me Tea-& Cookies with the CNO and the Commandant ? Lot’s to discuss...
        >
        > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

      • phil.bolger
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 8 7:56 AM
          I could offer a ‘translation’ for the ‘mil-speak’;  actually it seems no worse than other areas of particular focus where ‘tech-speak’ is inevitable to compress lengthy word-combinations that compress larger concepts into indeed acronyms.
          List the ‘puzzle’ and I will offer the solution.

          Susanne

          href="http://snafu-solomon.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-21st-century-landing-craft.html">http://snafu-solomon.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-21st-century-landing-craft.html

          > Could someone book me Tea-& Cookies with the CNO and the
          Commandant ? Lot’s to discuss...

          > Susanne Altenburger,
          PB&F

        • Paraplegic Racehorse
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 8 12:52 PM
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <philbolger@...> wrote:

            SNIP

            > Back on smaller-craft design matters, to those who (still) do not
            > read MAIB ‘as a matter of course’, the next issue will feature
            > another here-to-fore unpublished Design.

            Speaking of such, what is the present status of AS-34 (#676)? I was intrigued by the MAIB article and enchanted by the hull shape.
          • Joe T
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 8 11:31 PM
              Got enough of the lingo to get what I need out of it. Understand enough to get the main message, Thanks.

              Joe T

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <philbolger@...> wrote:

              > I could offer a ‘translation’ for the ‘mil-speak’; actually it seems no worse than other areas of particular focus where ‘tech-speak’ is inevitable to compress lengthy word-combinations that compress larger concepts into indeed acronyms.
              > List the ‘puzzle’ and I will offer the solution.
              >
              > Susanne

            • phil.bolger
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 11 6:07 PM
                Well, PR, the ‘dark secret’ is that someone will have to help finance its further development.
                There is a fair amount of energy necessary to develop the concept.
                Here we’d have to see it subsidized through ‘the rest’ of the process.

                As to her shape and appearance, beyond some of the optional curves in her profile the shape is a fairly sober assembly of desirable attributes:
                - another developmental stage of the sharpie with that box-forefoot,
                - the fillets for a smooth entry sailing and at rest,
                - integration into the cat-, cat-yawl- and periauger (cat-schooner) -rig geometries,
                - together with the ‘wing catheads’ for ready-to-drop anchors.

                AS-34 and AS-40 are ‘my’ designs in those respects.
                Phil had used is ‘Advanced Sharpie’ in designs from 12’ OLD SHOE to at least 38’ LOOSE MOOSE II.
                As with our sharpie-related powerboat hulls of those years together, we moved developments further, such as with #679 and now post-Phil my #681 SACPAS-3.

                But this all takes resources to get done.  Progress thus often depends upon support by clients, or ‘syndicates’ of clients pooling modest resources to see a design completed.

                Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

                Sent: Monday, July 08, 2013 3:52 PM
                Subject: [bolger] Unpublished designs (was Re: LCU-F - PROCEEDINGS Magazine article 'pdf')