Re: [bolger] At last ... It makes SuperBrick seem normal.

  • Christopher C. Wetherill
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
      Did you see how high it floats?

      What I was implying was that there is no reserve buoyancy because the section is perfectly round.  This means that as the "hull" inclines due to the weight shifting from side to side there is no righting moment from the deeper side puttiing more force upwards than the shallower side, because there is no deeper side.  Sailboats with round bilges stay upright because the lead is well below the center of buoyancy and swings far off center to oppose the moment from shifting weight off
       center inside the hull (or other outside upsetting forces).

      On 06/18/2013 06:33 PM, Mike Allison wrote:
      On 6/18/2013 5:26 PM, Christopher C. Wetherill wrote:

      I had only assumed it was round bottomed, so I went back to the slid show.  No photos exposing the bottom.  Then I found this Exburyegg.org  I think the stability curves would be egstremely scary on this thing.

      V/R
      Chris

      It all depends on how much ballast is used.

      Mike Allison (North of Kansas City Mo, USA)
      E-Mail: mysloop@...

    • Cod
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 19, 2013
        egstremely scary on this thing.

        Well, guy is an artist, so you never know. But let's assume there is ballast in that bilge. He may still get seasick every time a dinghy rows past. Sort of like living in a very slippery rocking chair.

        Whack-boing! It's dub!
        www.thecheappages.com
      • Crandall, Chris S.
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 19, 2013
          Posted by: "Christopher C. Wetherill" wetherillc@... wetherillc
          > I had only assumed it was round bottomed, so I went back to the slid
          > show. No photos exposing the bottom. Then I found this Exburyegg.org
          > <http://www.exburyegg.org/> I think the stability curves would be
          > eggstremely scary on this thing.

          Cuteness aside, the operative word in the web page is "tethered." It's not a ship, or even a shantyboat it's a "floating home." Stability curves assume a free floating craft--I think in the extremely protected water, with a few lines securely attached, that I would certainly spend a night (or a month!) on her.
        • Christopher C. Wetherill
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 19, 2013
            Agreed, I also noticed in one of the shots in the travellift, that it has external ballast that forms feet.  It will likely wind up sitting on them pretty often in its protected anchorage.

            On 6/19/2013 12:07 PM, Crandall, Chris S. wrote:
            Posted by: "Christopher C. Wetherill" wetherillc@... wetherillc

            I had only assumed it was round bottomed, so I went back to the slid
            show.  No photos exposing the bottom.  Then I found this Exburyegg.org
            <http://www.exburyegg.org/> I think the stability curves would be
            eggstremely scary on this thing.

            Cuteness aside, the operative word in the web page is "tethered."  It's not a ship, or even a shantyboat it's a "floating home." Stability curves assume a free floating craft--I think in the extremely protected water, with a few lines securely attached, that I would certainly spend a night (or a month!) on her.

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                bolger-digest@yahoogroups.com
                bolger-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Russell Dawkins
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 20, 2013
            • Russell Dawkins
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 20, 2013
                Sorry; hit "send" by mistake.

                "egstremely scary on this thing.

                Well, guy is an artist, so you never know. But let's assume there is ballast in that bilge. He may still get seasick every time a dinghy rows past. Sort of like living in a very slippery rocking chair."

                I would have thought that this hull shape would be particularly immune to rocking from wave influence, not the opposite.