At last ... It makes SuperBrick seem normal.

  • kateo
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 17, 2013
      http://www.gizmag.com/exbury-egg/27895/

      Of course, I have always considered SuperBrick quite normal.
    • phil.bolger
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 17, 2013
        That needed doing.
        Now the race to do one in perfectly matching veneers out of one single tree-trunk...
        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

        Of course, I have always considered SuperBrick quite normal.

      • Christopher C. Wetherill
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
          Do you suppose he can run in it like a hamster in a habitrail ball?

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
            Sure would be one way to get exercise and boost her batteries to run the lap-top and the diode-lighting.
            I assume that she has either ‘keel’ or ‘box-keel’ or at least a fair bit of ballast incl. batteries.

            So, that would preclude having the whole egg begin to spin...

            Which leaves the old Hamster-in-the-egg routine... no yoke intended...
            (I expect you to laugh for about a week !)

            This would mean doing a 1/2 or 1/4 section weldment to bring inside, bolt together, and then put in/onto four bearings on her sole to allow that ‘wheel’ to spin inside the egg - as I was saying ‘the-old-hamster-in-the-egg-routine’...

            ”Say what, Susanne ?”

            Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

            Message 6 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
              On 6/18/2013 5:26 PM, Christopher C. Wetherill wrote:

              I had only assumed it was round bottomed, so I went back to the slid show.  No photos exposing the bottom.  Then I found this Exburyegg.org  I think the stability curves would be egstremely scary on this thing.

              V/R
              Chris

              It all depends on how much ballast is used.

              Mike Allison (North of Kansas City Mo, USA)
              E-Mail: mysloop@...
            • Christopher C. Wetherill
              Message 7 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
                Did you see how high it floats?

                What I was implying was that there is no reserve buoyancy because the section is perfectly round.  This means that as the "hull" inclines due to the weight shifting from side to side there is no righting moment from the deeper side puttiing more force upwards than the shallower side, because there is no deeper side.  Sailboats with round bilges stay upright because the lead is well below the center of buoyancy and swings far off center to oppose the moment from shifting weight off
                 center inside the hull (or other outside upsetting forces).

                On 06/18/2013 06:33 PM, Mike Allison wrote:
                On 6/18/2013 5:26 PM, Christopher C. Wetherill wrote:

                I had only assumed it was round bottomed, so I went back to the slid show.  No photos exposing the bottom.  Then I found this Exburyegg.org  I think the stability curves would be egstremely scary on this thing.

                V/R
                Chris

                It all depends on how much ballast is used.

                Mike Allison (North of Kansas City Mo, USA)
                E-Mail: mysloop@...

              • Cod
                Message 8 of 12 , Jun 19, 2013
                  egstremely scary on this thing.

                  Well, guy is an artist, so you never know. But let's assume there is ballast in that bilge. He may still get seasick every time a dinghy rows past. Sort of like living in a very slippery rocking chair.

                  Whack-boing! It's dub!
                  www.thecheappages.com
                • Crandall, Chris S.
                  Message 9 of 12 , Jun 19, 2013
                    Posted by: "Christopher C. Wetherill" wetherillc@... wetherillc
                    > I had only assumed it was round bottomed, so I went back to the slid
                    > show. No photos exposing the bottom. Then I found this Exburyegg.org
                    > <http://www.exburyegg.org/> I think the stability curves would be
                    > eggstremely scary on this thing.

                    Cuteness aside, the operative word in the web page is "tethered." It's not a ship, or even a shantyboat it's a "floating home." Stability curves assume a free floating craft--I think in the extremely protected water, with a few lines securely attached, that I would certainly spend a night (or a month!) on her.
                  • Christopher C. Wetherill
                    Message 10 of 12 , Jun 19, 2013
                      Agreed, I also noticed in one of the shots in the travellift, that it has external ballast that forms feet.  It will likely wind up sitting on them pretty often in its protected anchorage.

                      On 6/19/2013 12:07 PM, Crandall, Chris S. wrote:
                      Posted by: "Christopher C. Wetherill" wetherillc@... wetherillc

                      I had only assumed it was round bottomed, so I went back to the slid
                      show.  No photos exposing the bottom.  Then I found this Exburyegg.org
                      <http://www.exburyegg.org/> I think the stability curves would be
                      eggstremely scary on this thing.

                      Cuteness aside, the operative word in the web page is "tethered."  It's not a ship, or even a shantyboat it's a "floating home." Stability curves assume a free floating craft--I think in the extremely protected water, with a few lines securely attached, that I would certainly spend a night (or a month!) on her.

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          bolger-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          bolger-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Russell Dawkins
                      Message 11 of 12 , Jun 20, 2013
                      • Russell Dawkins
                        Message 12 of 12 , Jun 20, 2013
                          Sorry; hit "send" by mistake.

                          "egstremely scary on this thing.

                          Well, guy is an artist, so you never know. But let's assume there is ballast in that bilge. He may still get seasick every time a dinghy rows past. Sort of like living in a very slippery rocking chair."

                          I would have thought that this hull shape would be particularly immune to rocking from wave influence, not the opposite.