Single-Luff Spinnaker

  • prairiedog2332
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2013
      This subject came up on another forum and I was wondering if anyone has tried one? Mr. Bolger has offered it on several designs including AS29 and the upgraded Micro plans. RIG 26 in his Small Boat Rigs books, specifically for a catboat rig. But have not seen much on the finer details of rigging and using one, or how much shaping it should have.

      Seems to me he felt one was worth considering?

      Bruce - glad to see you posting - was a bit worried about you!

      Nels
    • Robert Hickey
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2013
        find a used 150 genoa. in light cloth. used racing sail, ideal. a sail
        worthless for racing maybe excellent for your purpose.

        On 6/5/13, prairiedog2332 <arvent@...> wrote:
        > This subject came up on another forum and I was wondering if anyone has
        > tried one? Mr. Bolger has offered it on several designs including AS29
        > and the upgraded Micro plans. RIG 26 in his Small Boat Rigs books,
        > specifically for a catboat rig. But have not seen much on the finer
        > details of rigging and using one, or how much shaping it should have.
        > Seems to me he felt one was worth considering?
        > Bruce - glad to see you posting - was a bit worried about you!
        >
        > Nels

      • prairiedog2332
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2013
          Robert,

          Thanks, I am waay inland to access to used racing sails. Mainly I was wondering if anyone had tried one and how it is set up with the various control line and the spinnaker pole set-up.

          Have zilch knowledge or experience with other than regular jibs let alone spinnakers, but this idea has created some interest at another group who have become aware of that option. Basically adding one to a small cat yawl.

          Nels

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hickey wrote:

          > find a used 150 genoa. in light cloth. used racing sail, ideal. a sail
          > worthless for racing maybe excellent for your purpose.

        • David
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2013
            Nels

            I get the impression from reading the books and studying plans, that the single luff spinnaker is essentially a light jib set flying rigged with its tack on a spinnaker pole rather than to a bowsprit or deck fixture. I am pretty convinced it is more a semantic issue in respect of the way the sail is rigged than something to do with the sail itself.

            The cover of Different Boats shows the 30' Wolftrap using one. It definitely is not a Gennaker or "balloon-type" sail by current standards. Neither does it look like a genoa shaped sail. On the Wolftrap plans PCB specifies: "Cut Spinnaker with single luff like a balloon jib set flying". What is clear is that the sail cannot require significant luff tension to stand, as it is almost invariably specified for unstayed rigs. (Neither can it be tacked in the way most jibs and staysails are).

            I believe I quote PCB saying "I have drawn a number of these sails and yet to see one in use." (can't find the quotation - but didn't look very hard).

            On a not particularly big boat, I think this is a good place to try a polytarp sail (Ohhhhh - I hear the insults) to Phils dimensions, playing somewhat with the shape. Page 141 of The Sailmakers Apprentice gives a lot of insight on sail shaping for staysails if you are prepared to take the trouble. I would round the lower half of the luff and put a dart in the tack to create some shape (in the way specified by Michalak, Polysails and others) and give it a try. You could even try a classic Bolger Leg-o-mutton polytarp guide. The cut wouldn't be quite right, but most of our home made sails (or used sails for that matter) aren't. The single luff spinnaker for AS29 is VERY close in dimensions to the Leg o mutton mainsail for Micro...

            Thoughts from Santiago, Chile, as winter sets in...

            David

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" <arvent@...> wrote:

            > This subject came up on another forum and I was wondering if anyone has
            > tried one? Mr. Bolger has offered it on several designs including AS29
            > and the upgraded Micro plans. RIG 26 in his Small Boat Rigs books,
            > specifically for a catboat rig. But have not seen much on the finer
            > details of rigging and using one, or how much shaping it should have.
            > Seems to me he felt one was worth considering?
            > Bruce - glad to see you posting - was a bit worried about you!
            >
            > Nels

          • Arne Kverneland, Norway
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2013
              David,
              Interesting, we seem to have similar ideas on this. Actually, inspired by PCB's spinnakers/jibs I recently drew up a lightweight jib for a friends Folkboat. From obvious reasons it could not be set on a pole.
              Below is a little write-up with figures showing ho I did it. Hopefully in few weeks I can supply a couple of photos showing how it works.

              Thoughts from Stavanger, Norway, as summer sets in...

              Arne Kverneland

              https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49284570/Other%20boat%20files/20130606%20Adding%20a%20lightweight%20jib%20to%20a%20Nordic%20Folkboat.pdf

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dir_cobb@...> wrote:

              > Nels
              >
              > I get the impression from reading the books and studying plans, that the single luff spinnaker is essentially a light jib set flying rigged with its tack on a spinnaker pole rather than to a bowsprit or deck fixture. I am pretty convinced it is more a semantic issue in respect of the way the sail is rigged than something to do with the sail itself.
              >
              > The cover of Different Boats shows the 30' Wolftrap using one. It definitely is not a Gennaker or "balloon-type" sail by current standards. Neither does it look like a genoa shaped sail. On the Wolftrap plans PCB specifies: "Cut Spinnaker with single luff like a balloon jib set flying". What is clear is that the sail cannot require significant luff tension to stand, as it is almost invariably specified for unstayed rigs. (Neither can it be tacked in the way most jibs and staysails are).
              >
              > I believe I quote PCB saying "I have drawn a number of these sails and yet to see one in use." (can't find the quotation - but didn't look very hard).
              >
              > On a not particularly big boat, I think this is a good place to try a polytarp sail (Ohhhhh - I hear the insults) to Phils dimensions, playing somewhat with the shape. Page 141 of The Sailmakers Apprentice gives a lot of insight on sail shaping for staysails if you are prepared to take the trouble. I would round the lower half of the luff and put a dart in the tack to create some shape (in the way specified by Michalak, Polysails and others) and give it a try. You could even try a classic Bolger Leg-o-mutton polytarp guide. The cut wouldn't be quite right, but most of our home made sails (or used sails for that matter) aren't. The single luff spinnaker for AS29 is VERY close in dimensions to the Leg o mutton mainsail for Micro...
              >
              > Thoughts from Santiago, Chile, as winter sets in...
              >
              > David

            • prairiedog2332
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 6, 2013
                Thanks for the information gentlemen.

                Actually David, the discussion began at Polysail Dave's group, where he is looking at spinnaker making:-)  Not as nice as ripstop but has no requirement for a lot of seam sewing to try out. Just a bit of rounding and maybe a dart or two. I have 2 white tarps 24 X 26' I picked up for $30 to fool around with.

                Believe Douglas Pollard was the owner of Wolf Trap? Maybe I could see if I can contact him and get his thoughts on rigging such as sail.

                Nels