Re: Scanning for pirated copies of Boats With An Open Mind

  • apraphett777
    Message 1 of 45 , Jun 5, 2013
      I have never sold copies of any plans that would be wrong it is not your property to sell I have built more then one copy of a boat from a book and used it and found what I did not like I sold the first one and improved the second one I have been of the opinion for quiet some time now if a person cannot build any of the skiffs from just the book they should not be building LOL the plans and keys are really that complete easy peasy and a few of the larger ones are just as easy as the skiff :)

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, hbguck@... wrote:

      > This brings up an interesting question.
      >
      > When you purchase a book with plans for a boat and it is possible to build
      > a boat from those plans, is it legal and ethical to build that boat? Or
      > is it legal but "tacky" to bypass the author also sells plans?
      >
      > Although this was brought about by the Bolger group and his fans, does it
      > apply universally to all plans? e.g. I have copies of the old "Motor
      > Boating Plans" books which contained plans by Atkins. Mr. Atkins' widow
      > currently sells plans for his boats, but the original plans that were published,
      > expected the reader to build a boat.
      >
      > Would the group consider it legal and ethical to build a boat from these
      > plans? Although I wouldn't, could a person sell copies of those plans that
      > were published and sold by "Motor Boating" with the expectation that the
      > plans would be used to build.
      >
      > Richard in Hampton Bays.

    • futabachan
      Message 45 of 45 , Sep 27, 2013

        The original "Instant Boats" with the Teal is gone, too. "Build the New Instant Boats" and "Boatbuilding With Dynamite Payson" are still there.

        ---In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <bolger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        On 9/26/2013 9:43 AM, futabachan@... wrote:

        That's really weird -- it's not there now. I have it in my Kindle account, and it used to be available by Kindle, but it's not there now.

        It got removed about a year or so back.

        I have it on my kindle also.

        Mike Allison (North of Kansas City Mo, USA)
        E-Mail: mysloop@...