Re: [bolger] Re: Scanning for pirated copies of Boats With An Open Mind

  • Scot Mc Pherson
    Message 1 of 45 , Jun 4, 2013
      It depends on the book. _Generally Speaking_, if they are published in a book that you bought, then you have free license to use THAT set of plans as many times as you want...but you need to read the book to find out if the author is giving you license to do so. George Buehler gave away a few sets of plans in his Backyard Boat Building and so did Phil and Dennis with their books, but it's recommended you get the full scale plans for better accuracy.

      George also had some plan add-ons that you can't get in the books, like alternative design considerations etc....

      Scot McPherson, PMP CISSP MCSA
      Old Lyme, CT, USA
      Scot McPherson | Linkedin <https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotmcpherson>

      On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 9:23 AM, <hbguck@...> wrote:

      This brings up an interesting question.

      When you purchase a book with plans for a boat and it is possible to build a boat from those plans, is it legal and ethical to build that boat?  Or is it legal but "tacky" to bypass the author also sells plans?

      Although this was brought about by the Bolger group and his fans, does it apply universally to all plans?  e.g. I have copies of the old "Motor Boating Plans" books which contained plans by Atkins.  Mr. Atkins' widow currently sells plans for his boats, but the original plans that were published, expected the reader to build a boat.

      Would the group consider it legal and ethical to build a boat from these plans?  Although I wouldn't, could a person sell copies of those plans that were published and sold by "Motor Boating" with the expectation that the plans would be used to build.

      Richard in Hampton Bays.

    • futabachan
      Message 45 of 45 , Sep 27, 2013

        The original "Instant Boats" with the Teal is gone, too. "Build the New Instant Boats" and "Boatbuilding With Dynamite Payson" are still there.

        ---In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <bolger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        On 9/26/2013 9:43 AM, futabachan@... wrote:

        That's really weird -- it's not there now. I have it in my Kindle account, and it used to be available by Kindle, but it's not there now.

        It got removed about a year or so back.

        I have it on my kindle also.

        Mike Allison (North of Kansas City Mo, USA)
        E-Mail: mysloop@...