RE: [bolger] Re: Whalewatcher plans

  • mason smith
    Message 1 of 14 , May 27, 2013

      What Phil and Susanne call keys are not in the books, to my knowledge. You have to get the plans to get the keys, which are instructions and measurements for every numbered part in the plans, plus some more general instructions.

      Message 2 of 14 , May 28, 2013
        Well, as it turns out some of the books have the key with some of the designs, but the majority certainly do not.

        Most of the designs with everything you need are very simple, smaller boats. One of the larger more complex designs with a key is in "The Folding Schooner", a boat named "Utility for Homebuilders". I think everything is there for that design.

        Others include details in the chapter or MAIB article, like offset tables but are missing a key, and, I believe, entire sheets of the blueprints. I s'pose one could build from the tables and other partial info, but for the few $$ on a nearly 10k$ project, why take more risks?

        BTW stating not all the blueprints are recreated in the books is NOT a complaint. The Bolger books I have are groups of study plans with PBF's wonderful essays regarding each design. That's what I expected and received when buying the books.

        I think PB&F makes the most important point that the plans cost is a very small part of most any project. I also agree the upgrades and corrections are very very important. Martha Jane is a very good example. The upgraded boat with a Navigator cabin and those ugly sponsons is not just roomier, it is a much safer boat.

        Don Schultz

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mason smith" <masonsmith@...> wrote:

        > What Phil and Susanne call keys are not in the books, to my knowledge. You
        > have to get the plans to get the keys, which are instructions and
        > measurements for every numbered part in the plans, plus some more general instructions...

      • apraphett777
        Message 3 of 14 , May 28, 2013
          the same type of key that was in the Queen Mab plans, are in all the books I have by PhilI have all but the Novel a step by step numbering of the parts etc I also have the Payson books as well all a very good education in boat building Cheers Pal