Re: [bolger] Re: fuel tanks

  • Robert Hickey
    Message 1 of 6 , May 9, 2013
      use portable out board tanks, fill up where it is cheap. fixed tanks are a pain

      On 5/9/13, Pat <patjah@...> wrote:
      > Beautiful sharpie design with leg of mutton sprit sail. Thought someone
      > may enjoy this image.
      >
      > Cheers
      > Pat

    • John Kohnen
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9, 2013
        If you use portable tanks be sure you put them in a _well ventilated_
        space. And remember that gasoline fumes are heavier than air, so the tank
        space has to have an opening down low to let them out. Portable tanks vent
        through the filler cap directly into wherever you put them.

        Whether fixed tanks are more of a PITA than portable ones depends on the
        situation. For my motorboat with a motorwell in a covered lazarette a
        fixed tank is a lot handier than wrestling portable tanks in and out of
        the lazarette (the only practical place to put them), and a lot safer,
        since the fixed tank vents to the outside.

        --
        John (jkohnen@...)
        Wind to a sailor is what money is to life on shore. (Sterling Hayden)