fuel tanks

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2 8:34 AM
      Hi. Anyone have any suggestion on where to locate below deck fuel tank(s) on a Tennessee? I could go with one, say 20-25 gal. or split it into two. The aft port and starboard compartments are sealed with smallish hatches on deck for opening. I suppose I could cut a larger access hole below but I wonder if that's not too much weight too far aft. Ideas?
    • sirdarnell
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3 9:14 AM
        How about 2 tanks, one on either side of the motor well? Said 2 12 or 13 gallon tanks?

      • daschultz8275@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3 7:20 PM
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <edeinhorn@...> wrote:

          > Hi. Anyone have any suggestion on where to locate below deck fuel tank(s) on a Tennessee?...

          I believe Bolger arranged the cockpit opening to keep passengers fwd so your concern about weight aft is well founded. Perhaps under benches in the cockpit, with other stuff in the aft compartments?

          Don
        • Pat
          Message 4 of 6 , May 8 10:49 PM
            Beautiful sharpie design with leg of mutton sprit sail.  Thought someone may enjoy this image.

            Cheers
            Pat
          • Robert Hickey
            Message 5 of 6 , May 9 5:36 PM
              use portable out board tanks, fill up where it is cheap. fixed tanks are a pain

              On 5/9/13, Pat <patjah@...> wrote:
              > Beautiful sharpie design with leg of mutton sprit sail. Thought someone
              > may enjoy this image.
              >
              > Cheers
              > Pat

            • John Kohnen
              Message 6 of 6 , May 9 6:57 PM
                If you use portable tanks be sure you put them in a _well ventilated_
                space. And remember that gasoline fumes are heavier than air, so the tank
                space has to have an opening down low to let them out. Portable tanks vent
                through the filler cap directly into wherever you put them.

                Whether fixed tanks are more of a PITA than portable ones depends on the
                situation. For my motorboat with a motorwell in a covered lazarette a
                fixed tank is a lot handier than wrestling portable tanks in and out of
                the lazarette (the only practical place to put them), and a lot safer,
                since the fixed tank vents to the outside.

                --
                John (jkohnen@...)
                Wind to a sailor is what money is to life on shore. (Sterling Hayden)