Availability of Plans
- Hello All,some basics are in order:
- Phil Bolger & Friends (PB&F) has never had a legitimate commercial relationship with ‘Common Sense Boats’(CSB)
- It is not clear to PB&F how CSB acquired copies of copies upon which their ‘offerings’ are based.
- CSB has never presented PB&F with any royalty-checks.
- CSB has been advised in writing by PB&F on a number of occasions that it has no authority to take our work and make money off it.
- With CSB’s location in British Columbia, further research is underfoot to determine the role of the Provincial government in Victoria in such matters.
- Challenges to customers emerging out of CSB’s ‘business model’ have been heard of before, with the final outcome in those cases uncertain.
- However, Common Sense Designs (CSD) had a relationship with PB&F a long time ago, based on a personal understanding between Phil Bolger and Bernie Wolford.
- CSD folded a long time ago, with the return of respective Mylar copies of Bolger designs back to Bolger, then and now PB&F.
- The sole legitimate sellers of a small fraction of our design-archive remains H.H.Payson and Company, based upon a re-constructed understanding after Dynamite Payson’s death in 2010, plus WOODENBOAT Magazine continuing to offer a couple of plans drawn by Bolger.
- Boat Designs featured in Phil’ books are not necessarily represented in all details, nor would feature any later corrections or upgrades.
- Furthermore the process of reducing those graphics for book-format reproduction may introduce distortions apart from loss of details.
- There have been examples of boats build ‘out of the books’, with all carrying the risk of small to larger investments based on potentially incomplete and corrupted information.
- On the scale of any boat-building project beyond the simplest of skiffs, the investment in materials and labor typically is a vast multiple of the cost of plans.
- In the case in point here - Design #561 “Whalewatcher” - just the value of the materials-list alone necessary to build this 29-foot hull suggests that using plans from the original creator/s and supplier/s of bona fide copies of that design-work might be the best course of action.
- Currently plans for Design #561 incl. Building Key remain listed by Phil at $250.-
Susanne Altenburger, PB&F