Re: [bolger] Plans for Whalewatcher

  • phil.bolger
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2013
      Mr. Jensen,
      which website sells WHALEWATCHER plans ?
      Legitimate plans are only available from us.
      ’Saving’ on plans seems bad value
      1. - in light of uncertainty whether you get what you need,
      2. - in the context of just a fraction of epoxy-cost for such a design,
      3. – ‘getting off on the wrong foot’ on a project of such relative ambitions.

      Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

      Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:05 PM
      Subject: [bolger] Plans for Whalewatcher

      Greetings,
      At the end of March in 1982, I began welding the frames for a houseboat that became the home to my wife, myself, and our 3 children.  (Attached find a picture of  our boat Sanctuary.)  The children are raised and for a number of reasons we have now moved ashore.  Our home is now a river front house on the upper Mississippi in Minnesota. It is beautiful but not the same.
      Anyway, It is my idea to build another boat, something smaller and more manageable; say 36' as apposed to 75'.  At the time that I designed and built Sanctuary I had never heard of Phil Bolger. I came across his book Boats With an Open Mind . (Up until that point I was thinking of a Sharpi along the lines of Monroe's Egret.) There were two craft mentioned in the book that caught my fancy.
      One was Whalewatcher that scaled up perfectly. And although there are aspects to the design that would be unsuitable for use on the river, the hull seemed right and being a canoe sailor I am drawn to the leeboards.  The other design mentioned in the book was a sailing houseboat on a scow hull. It was mentioned at the end of the section on the Scow Schooner. There was not a drawing.
      In the fall of 2012 I found a web site that was selling Bolger's designs. I e-mailed the site and asked about the two boats.  I ended up purchasing Whalewatcher for $125.  The plans did not come with a manual or key. I would very much like to have one to better interpret the drawings.  If any one has one or knows where one could be had I would be grateful.
      Best Wishes,
      M. Jay Jensen

      PS. Although very new to this group, the information that is here is great!!

      How to Sleep Like a Rock
      peaklife.com
    • m.jayjensen

        Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:05 PM

[...]

      • Charles Schweickert

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 30, 2013
            Hello All,
            some basics are in order:
            - Phil Bolger & Friends (PB&F) has never had a legitimate commercial relationship with ‘Common Sense Boats’(CSB)
            - It is not clear to PB&F how CSB acquired copies of copies upon which their ‘offerings’ are based.
            - CSB has never presented PB&F with any royalty-checks.
            - CSB has been advised in writing by PB&F on a number of occasions that it has no authority to take our work and make money off it.
            - With CSB’s location in British Columbia, further research is underfoot to determine the role of the Provincial government in Victoria in such matters.
            - Challenges to customers emerging out of CSB’s ‘business model’ have been heard of before, with the final outcome in those cases uncertain.

            - However, Common Sense Designs (CSD) had a relationship with PB&F a long time ago, based on a personal understanding between Phil Bolger and Bernie Wolford.
            - CSD folded a long time ago, with the return of respective Mylar copies of Bolger designs back to Bolger, then and now PB&F.

            - The sole legitimate sellers of a small fraction of our design-archive remains H.H.Payson and Company, based upon a re-constructed understanding after Dynamite Payson’s death in 2010, plus WOODENBOAT Magazine continuing to offer a couple of plans drawn by Bolger.

            - Boat Designs featured in Phil’ books are not necessarily represented in all details, nor would feature any later corrections or upgrades.
            - Furthermore the process of reducing those graphics for book-format reproduction may introduce distortions apart from loss of details.
            - There have been examples of boats build ‘out of the books’, with all carrying the risk of small to larger investments based on potentially incomplete and corrupted information.

            - On the scale of any boat-building project beyond the simplest of skiffs, the investment in materials and labor typically is a vast multiple of the cost of plans.
            - In the case in point here - Design #561 “Whalewatcher” - just the value of the materials-list alone necessary to build this 29-foot hull suggests that using plans from the original creator/s and supplier/s of bona fide copies of that design-work might be the best course of action.
            - Currently plans for Design #561 incl. Building Key remain listed by Phil at $250.-

            Susanne Altenburger, PB&F