Re: [bolger] Re: 1/4 " solid hardwood ply

  • phil.bolger
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
      Oh, come on, Mason.
      Some folks just like to talk solid hard wood and stuff...

      I must say that I feel quite ‘inferior’ with my predilections for that darn domestic farm-grown softwood Douglas-Fir-habit I’ve acquired.
      Perhaps, there’s a 12-step angle to help me  ?

      Susanne

      Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:46 AM
      Subject: RE: [bolger] Re: 1/4 " solid hardwood ply

      Folks, this thread is nonsense. Can we end it, please?

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
        In 40 plus years of woodworking, I have never seen a piece of solid wood 4' x 8'. The only wood product that size is plywood. Regardless of what the yard is telling you, it is plywood, probably with a solid core. Think about it. Go to a lumber yard and find a mahogany plank 24" to 36" across (They do exist). Then imagine some sort of saw cutting it into planks 1/4" thick. Impossible.

        Michael Childs
        415 828 9663 - 626 799 9796
        www.michaelchilds.com
        michael_v_childs@...
      • prairiedog2332
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
          Perhaps an intervention called for? Can envision this as reality TV show subject.

          Dr. Phil; "So Susanne, when did you first become attracted to farm-grown Douglas Fir and how is that working for you?"

          Nice to see some lightness on a thread!

          Nels

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
            Well, it was a grey and stormy day along the coast of the Pacific Northwest.  There I was amongst them... and...well, I’m not sure I should continue... – at any rate. YES I ADMIT IT – I’VE USED DOUG FIR...soft-wood Doug Fir...and, em...
            At any rate. There ‘it is’.  ‘nough sed !
            Susanne

            Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 12:38 PM

            Perhaps an intervention called for? Can envision this as reality TV show subject.

            Dr. Phil; "So Susanne, when did you first become attracted to farm-grown Douglas Fir and how is that working for you?"

            Nice to see some lightness on a thread!

            Nels

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

            > Oh, come on, Mason.
            > Some folks just like to talk solid hard wood and stuff...
            >
            > I must say that I feel quite ‘inferior’ with my predilections for that darn domestic farm-grown softwood Douglas-Fir-habit I’ve acquired.
            > Perhaps, there’s a 12-step angle to help me ?
            >
            > Susanne

          • Mason Smith
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

              What, Susanne, is somebody dissing fir plywood in this group? I didn’t catch that. If I stay away from fir ply myself, and I mostly do, it’s because I don’t like glassing anything I don’t have to glass, and I don’t much like multi-coating with epoxy if I don’t have to, either.

              Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:46 AM

              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                No, just a lame attempt at out-doing the silly with more...
                Susanne

                Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 3:40 PM

                Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:46 AM