Re: 1/4 " solid hardwood ply

  • jdmeddock
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
      I wonder how they keep it from crawling off they racks once the un-band the pallets?
      How do they get it flat when manufactured?

      Justin

      > 1/4" veneer cut? Odd. Should be as durable as lumber of that species. You might see what Glen says about it.
    • Mason Smith
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

        Folks, this thread is nonsense. Can we end it, please?

        I wonder how they keep it from crawling off they racks once the un-band the pallets?
        How do they get it flat when manufactured?

        Justin

        > 1/4" veneer cut? Odd. Should be as durable as lumber of that species. You might see what Glen says about it.

      • phil.bolger
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
          Oh, come on, Mason.
          Some folks just like to talk solid hard wood and stuff...

          I must say that I feel quite ‘inferior’ with my predilections for that darn domestic farm-grown softwood Douglas-Fir-habit I’ve acquired.
          Perhaps, there’s a 12-step angle to help me  ?

          Susanne

          Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:46 AM
          Subject: RE: [bolger] Re: 1/4 " solid hardwood ply

          Folks, this thread is nonsense. Can we end it, please?

          I wonder how they keep it from crawling off they racks once the un-band the pallets?
          How do they get it flat when manufactured?

          Justin

          > 1/4" veneer cut? Odd. Should be
          as durable as lumber of that species. You might see what Glen says about it.

        • Michael Childs
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
            In 40 plus years of woodworking, I have never seen a piece of solid wood 4' x 8'. The only wood product that size is plywood. Regardless of what the yard is telling you, it is plywood, probably with a solid core. Think about it. Go to a lumber yard and find a mahogany plank 24" to 36" across (They do exist). Then imagine some sort of saw cutting it into planks 1/4" thick. Impossible.

            Michael Childs
            415 828 9663 - 626 799 9796
            www.michaelchilds.com
            michael_v_childs@...
          • prairiedog2332
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
              Perhaps an intervention called for? Can envision this as reality TV show subject.

              Dr. Phil; "So Susanne, when did you first become attracted to farm-grown Douglas Fir and how is that working for you?"

              Nice to see some lightness on a thread!

              Nels

              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                Well, it was a grey and stormy day along the coast of the Pacific Northwest.  There I was amongst them... and...well, I’m not sure I should continue... – at any rate. YES I ADMIT IT – I’VE USED DOUG FIR...soft-wood Doug Fir...and, em...
                At any rate. There ‘it is’.  ‘nough sed !
                Susanne

                Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 12:38 PM

                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

                  What, Susanne, is somebody dissing fir plywood in this group? I didn’t catch that. If I stay away from fir ply myself, and I mostly do, it’s because I don’t like glassing anything I don’t have to glass, and I don’t much like multi-coating with epoxy if I don’t have to, either.

                  Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:46 AM

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                    No, just a lame attempt at out-doing the silly with more...
                    Susanne

                    Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 3:40 PM

                    Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:46 AM