Re: 1/4 " solid hardwood ply

  • sirdarnell
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 27, 2013
      1/4" veneer cut? Odd. Should be as durable as lumber of that species. You might see what Glen says about it.

      http://www.glen-l.com/wood-plywood/bb-chap5c.html

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "chadnn" <chadnn@...> wrote:

      > OK, its not ply, its solid hardwood 1/4" 4'x8'. So has anyone used it?

    • prairiedog2332
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 27, 2013
        Even exterior grade glues can fail dishwasher testing due what I have found seems to be starved joints. Poor quality control particularly in plywood from China. Some advertised as "solid core" has  a thicker central core with two onion skins added on the exterior. These outer skins will sometimes wrinkle in places as well. And not all "hard woods" are really all that hard. By definition - "A description applied to woods from deciduous broad-leafed trees (Angiosperms). The term has no reference to the actual hardness of the wood."

        Nels

        Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/hardwood#ixzz2RgBFBN3X

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

        > For broader context on the stuff, there’s always the WIKIPEDIA entry on ‘Plywood’...
        > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

      • jdmeddock
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
          I wonder how they keep it from crawling off they racks once the un-band the pallets?
          How do they get it flat when manufactured?

          Justin

          > 1/4" veneer cut? Odd. Should be as durable as lumber of that species. You might see what Glen says about it.
        • Mason Smith
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

            Folks, this thread is nonsense. Can we end it, please?

            I wonder how they keep it from crawling off they racks once the un-band the pallets?
            How do they get it flat when manufactured?

            Justin

            > 1/4" veneer cut? Odd. Should be as durable as lumber of that species. You might see what Glen says about it.

          • phil.bolger
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
              Oh, come on, Mason.
              Some folks just like to talk solid hard wood and stuff...

              I must say that I feel quite ‘inferior’ with my predilections for that darn domestic farm-grown softwood Douglas-Fir-habit I’ve acquired.
              Perhaps, there’s a 12-step angle to help me  ?

              Susanne

              Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:46 AM
              Subject: RE: [bolger] Re: 1/4 " solid hardwood ply

              Folks, this thread is nonsense. Can we end it, please?

              I wonder how they keep it from crawling off they racks once the un-band the pallets?
              How do they get it flat when manufactured?

              Justin

              > 1/4" veneer cut? Odd. Should be
              as durable as lumber of that species. You might see what Glen says about it.

            • Michael Childs
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                In 40 plus years of woodworking, I have never seen a piece of solid wood 4' x 8'. The only wood product that size is plywood. Regardless of what the yard is telling you, it is plywood, probably with a solid core. Think about it. Go to a lumber yard and find a mahogany plank 24" to 36" across (They do exist). Then imagine some sort of saw cutting it into planks 1/4" thick. Impossible.

                Michael Childs
                415 828 9663 - 626 799 9796
                www.michaelchilds.com
                michael_v_childs@...
              • prairiedog2332
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                  Perhaps an intervention called for? Can envision this as reality TV show subject.

                  Dr. Phil; "So Susanne, when did you first become attracted to farm-grown Douglas Fir and how is that working for you?"

                  Nice to see some lightness on a thread!

                  Nels

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                    Well, it was a grey and stormy day along the coast of the Pacific Northwest.  There I was amongst them... and...well, I’m not sure I should continue... – at any rate. YES I ADMIT IT – I’VE USED DOUG FIR...soft-wood Doug Fir...and, em...
                    At any rate. There ‘it is’.  ‘nough sed !
                    Susanne

                    Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 12:38 PM

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

                      What, Susanne, is somebody dissing fir plywood in this group? I didn’t catch that. If I stay away from fir ply myself, and I mostly do, it’s because I don’t like glassing anything I don’t have to glass, and I don’t much like multi-coating with epoxy if I don’t have to, either.

                      Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:46 AM

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                        No, just a lame attempt at out-doing the silly with more...
                        Susanne

                        Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 3:40 PM

                        Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:46 AM