Re: 1/4 " solid hardwood ply

  • chadnn
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 26, 2013
      OK, its not ply, its solid hardwood 1/4" 4'x8'. So has anyone used it?

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Stromski <j.stromski@...> wrote:

      > Then its not plywood, its just "wood". You may want to clarify what you're
      > looking at, cuz the chance of seeing a sheet of solid wood that's 4x8 are about
      > zero. My guess is that its some sort of plywood, and it does indeed have glue.
      > Best,
      > Joe
      >

      > ________________________________

    • loosemoosefilmworks
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 26, 2013
        Well color me interested...

        But in 4 x 8 sheets it's still going to be glued together and, I expect, unless those glue lines are purple it's not going to be too awfully boat friendly.

        But my big question is WHAT SORT OF HARDWOOD? Hardwood
        is such a big umbrella it includes everything from balsa to ironwood so a little more info is needful.

        Bob
        http://boatbits.blogspot.com/
        http://fishingundersail.blogspot.com/
        http://islandgourmand.blogspot.com/

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "chadnn" <chadnn@...> wrote:

        > OK, its not ply, its solid hardwood 1/4" 4'x8'. So has anyone used it?
        >
        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Stromski <j.stromski@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Then its not plywood, its just "wood". You may want to clarify what you're
        > > looking at, cuz the chance of seeing a sheet of solid wood that's 4x8 are about
        > > zero. My guess is that its some sort of plywood, and it does indeed have glue.
        > > Best,
        > > Joe
        > >

        > > ________________________________

      • harryjak
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 26, 2013
          Personal experience says that is not so. And I have had failures on exterior
          plywood also. The dishwasher test is a good first screening.

          HJ

          Most, if not all plywood is made with exterior glue now.

          > To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
          > From: j.stromski@...
          > Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:51:36 -0700
          > Subject: Re: [bolger] Re: 1/4 " solid hardwood ply

          > Then its not plywood, its just "wood". You may want to clarify what you're
          > looking at, cuz the chance of seeing a sheet of solid wood that's 4x8 are
          > about zero. My guess is that its some sort of plywood, and it does indeed
          > have glue.Best,Joe

        • patricia hong
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 26, 2013
            It would require a log larger than 4 ft diameter to made a " solid "
            wooden panel without glue.
            It would cost you your children , or more.
            It would also be highly dimensionally unstable and totally unsuitable
            to use to build anything .
            You would be lucky to get a thin piece of veneer that size these days.
            This could not possibly be solid , one piece " wood ".
          • Frank and Jeannette
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 27, 2013
              its called lumber core where i come from (nj ny)used mostley for cabinet work dont know about the glue
            • phil.bolger
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 27, 2013
                For broader context on the stuff, there’s always the WIKIPEDIA entry on ‘Plywood’...
                Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

                Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2013 9:44 AM
                Subject: Re: [bolger] Re: 1/4 " solid hardwood ply

                its called lumber core where i come from (nj ny)used mostley for cabinet work dont know about the glue
              • sirdarnell
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 27, 2013
                  1/4" veneer cut? Odd. Should be as durable as lumber of that species. You might see what Glen says about it.

                  http://www.glen-l.com/wood-plywood/bb-chap5c.html

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "chadnn" <chadnn@...> wrote:

                  > OK, its not ply, its solid hardwood 1/4" 4'x8'. So has anyone used it?

                • prairiedog2332
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 27, 2013
                    Even exterior grade glues can fail dishwasher testing due what I have found seems to be starved joints. Poor quality control particularly in plywood from China. Some advertised as "solid core" has  a thicker central core with two onion skins added on the exterior. These outer skins will sometimes wrinkle in places as well. And not all "hard woods" are really all that hard. By definition - "A description applied to woods from deciduous broad-leafed trees (Angiosperms). The term has no reference to the actual hardness of the wood."

                    Nels

                    Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/hardwood#ixzz2RgBFBN3X

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

                    > For broader context on the stuff, there’s always the WIKIPEDIA entry on ‘Plywood’...
                    > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

                  • jdmeddock
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                      I wonder how they keep it from crawling off they racks once the un-band the pallets?
                      How do they get it flat when manufactured?

                      Justin

                      > 1/4" veneer cut? Odd. Should be as durable as lumber of that species. You might see what Glen says about it.
                    • Mason Smith
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

                        Folks, this thread is nonsense. Can we end it, please?

                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                          Oh, come on, Mason.
                          Some folks just like to talk solid hard wood and stuff...

                          I must say that I feel quite ‘inferior’ with my predilections for that darn domestic farm-grown softwood Douglas-Fir-habit I’ve acquired.
                          Perhaps, there’s a 12-step angle to help me  ?

                          Susanne

                          Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:46 AM

                          Folks, this thread is nonsense. Can we end it, please?

                          I wonder how they keep it from crawling off they racks once the un-band the pallets?
                          How do they get it flat when manufactured?

                          Justin

                          > 1/4" veneer cut? Odd. Should be
                          as durable as lumber of that species. You might see what Glen says about it.

                        • Michael Childs
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                            In 40 plus years of woodworking, I have never seen a piece of solid wood 4' x 8'. The only wood product that size is plywood. Regardless of what the yard is telling you, it is plywood, probably with a solid core. Think about it. Go to a lumber yard and find a mahogany plank 24" to 36" across (They do exist). Then imagine some sort of saw cutting it into planks 1/4" thick. Impossible.

                            Michael Childs
                            415 828 9663 - 626 799 9796
                            www.michaelchilds.com
                            michael_v_childs@...
                          • prairiedog2332
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                              Perhaps an intervention called for? Can envision this as reality TV show subject.

                              Dr. Phil; "So Susanne, when did you first become attracted to farm-grown Douglas Fir and how is that working for you?"

                              Nice to see some lightness on a thread!

                              Nels

                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                                Well, it was a grey and stormy day along the coast of the Pacific Northwest.  There I was amongst them... and...well, I’m not sure I should continue... – at any rate. YES I ADMIT IT – I’VE USED DOUG FIR...soft-wood Doug Fir...and, em...
                                At any rate. There ‘it is’.  ‘nough sed !
                                Susanne

                                Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 12:38 PM

                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

                                  What, Susanne, is somebody dissing fir plywood in this group? I didn’t catch that. If I stay away from fir ply myself, and I mostly do, it’s because I don’t like glassing anything I don’t have to glass, and I don’t much like multi-coating with epoxy if I don’t have to, either.

                                  Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:46 AM

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                                    No, just a lame attempt at out-doing the silly with more...
                                    Susanne

                                    Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 3:40 PM

                                    Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:46 AM