Re: [bolger] Plan search garvey by Bolger

  • phil.bolger
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 25 7:54 PM
      Mason,
      good reference.
      It was/is Design #670 CAYUKO CARGO 15 (as in 15 meter length, i.e. 50+ feet in length) to do exactly as you are recalling here.  She may get done yet.

      Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

      Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:46 PM
      Subject: RE: [bolger] Plan search garvey by Bolger

      There was one such boat in PB&F’s space in Messing About in Boats a couple of years ago, probably not practical for you but with an opening bow. It was a brilliant concept of a boat to be made out of local replaceable materials in a village on a river in Central America running to the Gulf, and the idea was for a village upstream to harvest one mahogany tree and load it through that bow onto this long narrow crossplanked boat and get it to the sea or even around the Gulf and up the East Coast to market, returning with enough cash to run a medical clinic in the Village for a year. Boat could carry a cow, a grandma, whatever, serve all sorts of purposes. I always thought it a shame that the people who asked for some Bolger thinking in that area thought they knew better, and it wasn’t tried.

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 26 2:28 AM

        Hello Susanne

        #632. Can I buy plans for this Watervan? I’ve been interested in this design for quite some time. I would like to pay you via PayPal. You really should consider getting a PayPal account if you don’t have one already. Get an account and invoice me. I’ll pay you straight away.

        With greatest respect

        Harry Tams.

        15 Queechy Road

        Launceston Tasmania

        Australia 7250.

        #632 = $300.- to build one boat, plans sent priority mail, rolled in a tube.
        #391 = $75.- to same terms.

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

        Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:44 PM

        Subject: [bolger] Re: Plan search garvey by Bolger

        Charity? Aluminum construction.

        Harry Bryan also has one similar in wood called Trout but shorter. Was written up in WB.

        Nels

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 26 3:47 AM
          Good morning Harry.
               Thanks for your interest in #632.  Plans are indeed available to the terms you already know.
          At the moment - overflowing plate of ‘must-dos’ – I don’t have a PayPal Account, in fact should review again what is involved by April ‘13.
          In the mean-time an International Money Order, MoneyGram, Western Union etc. works, as still does the ‘adventurous’ last-ditch option of sending well-disguised cash (?!).
          Those tools will have to do for likely another 2 months or so as I am clearing that serious load off my agenda and (hopefully) get to enjoy the fruits of those labors for a bit.
          Perhaps I over-estimate the PayPal formalities...
          I gather you have our address.
          Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

          #632 = $300.- to build one boat, plans sent priority mail, rolled in a tube.
          #391 = $75.- to same terms.

          Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

          Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:44 PM

          Charity? Aluminum construction.

          Harry Bryan also has one similar in wood called Trout but shorter. Was written up in WB.

          Nels

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mickey" wrote:

          > I am searching for a wooden workboat plan that
          includes a wood landing ramp door built into the bow . This will be used to transport small loads of lumber and building materials to a remote island in protected fresh water, 1000 lbs payload is about the maximum I will need.
          > I have looked through his many sets of plans and cannot seem to
          find this boat that a buddy of mine says is a Bolger design. any info will help Thanks

        • prairiedog2332
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 26 1:05 PM
            Is "#391= $75" actually for #341 Fiddle II and is that the correct price?

            If so I am seriously looking at obtaining the plans, after reading the write up in "30 Odd Boats".  Thinking of 2 layers of 3/8" MDO on the bottom rather than strip planking it. Maybe a wider shoe like Clam Skiff, open slot top forward of helm location and using only a 5 HP Honda 4-stroke. Pottering around and maybe dropping a line on lakes adjacent to established campgrounds and sleeping overnight in it on the trailer at a campground even if no lake.

            Very streamlined for towing on a flat-bed utility trailer and a great view from the bedroom:-)

            Nels

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

            > Good question.
            > Here are two more options
            > Design #632 WaterVan (22’x8’) without much of the house plus adding a hinged ramp at sheer-level would work, but likely be too big still.
            > Design #341 Fiddler II (early ‘square’ plan-view like #632 but at 15’10” x 6’8”) should do, again without the house and with that hinged ramp at sheer level and would fit on the trailer inside any garage.
            > Light she’d plane with say 30HP and chug along with a good cargo-load.
            >
            > #632 = $300.- to build one boat, plans sent priority mail, rolled in a tube.
            > #391 = $75.- to same terms.
            >
            > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

          • phil.bolger
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 26 3:04 PM
              Yes, #391 should be #391 – not #341.
              And yes – $75.-

              If a 5 Honda is the plan, I’d add a gently curved  ‘tucked-up’ stern-extension (1/4” x 2) to end near the waterline for least drag, say 3’ max additional length and produce a fine ‘porch’ aft with that little engine at its center edge.  Then you could extend the ‘swoop’ of her silhouette aft via top-rail with horizontals below to keep things from sliding out and into the...
              “ I can see it now !”

              Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

              Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 4:05 PM

              Is "#391= $75" actually for #341 Fiddle II and is that the correct price?

              If so I am seriously looking at obtaining the plans, after reading the write up in "30 Odd Boats".  Thinking of 2 layers of 3/8" MDO on the bottom rather than strip planking it. Maybe a wider shoe like Clam Skiff, open slot top forward of helm location and using only a 5 HP Honda 4-stroke. Pottering around and maybe dropping a line on lakes adjacent to established campgrounds and sleeping overnight in it on the trailer at a campground even if no lake.

              Very streamlined for towing on a flat-bed utility trailer and a great view from the bedroom:-)

              Nels

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

              > Good question.
              > Here are two more options
              > Design #632 WaterVan (22’x8’) without much of the house plus adding a hinged ramp at sheer-level would work, but likely be too big still.
              > Design #341 Fiddler II (early ‘square’ plan-view like #632 but at 15’10” x 6’8”) should do, again without the house and with that hinged ramp at sheer level and would fit on the trailer inside any garage.
              > Light she’d plane with say 30HP and chug along with a good cargo-load.
              >
              > #632 = $300.- to build one boat, plans sent priority mail, rolled in a tube.
              > #391 = $75.- to same terms.
              >
              > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

            • prairiedog2332
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 26 5:02 PM
                Susanne,

                Yes, I think I can see that now as well and looks like a good idea!

                Looking more closely at the article, it really has a lot of attractive qualities. 4 feet of sitting headroom height with 2 seats, a really nice double bed and dedicated location for the porta-potty well aft the living area, as well as fuel and battery storage and wet locker. Great flow-through ventilation Plus a small porch on the stern for a couple of folding chairs and maybe a tiny BBQ.

                Disguised cash to follow. Perhaps more people might be interested as well as it should tow easily with a minivan, probably even better with a dedicated boat trailer that rides lower and launches easier,  than the flat bed I was first thinking.

                Nels

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

                > Yes, #391 should be #391 â€" not #341.
                > And yes â€" $75.-
                >
                > If a 5 Honda is the plan, I’d add a gently curved ‘tucked-up’ stern-extension (1/4” x 2) to end near the waterline for least drag, say 3’ max additional length and produce a fine ‘porch’ aft with that little engine at its center edge. Then you could extend the ‘swoop’ of her silhouette aft via top-rail with horizontals below to keep things from sliding out and into the...
                > “ I can see it now !”
                >
                > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

              • Harry Tams
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 26 7:52 PM

                  Hello Susanne

                  I had the same concerns before I joined. It was as simple as giving them my email address, choosing a password and connecting with a credit or debit account. It was that easy. Look into it for you sake. Your plan sales would triple. Harry

                  #632 = $300.- to build one boat, plans sent priority mail, rolled in a tube.
                  #391 = $75.- to same terms.

                  Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

                  Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:44 PM