Re: [bolger] 1/4 " solid hardwood ply

  • harryjak
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 25, 2013
      Usually that is interior plywood and the glues will not hold up on a boat. Ask if
      it is interior.

      HJ

      Hi All,

      > Has anyone used 1/4" solid hardwood ply to build with? My local lumber yard has it
      > but I have never used it. Its 4' x 8'.
      >

      > ------------------------------------

      > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978)
      > 282-1349
      > - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups
      > Links

    • chadnn
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 26, 2013
        Its solid so there isn't any glue in it.

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, welshman@... wrote:

        > Usually that is interior plywood and the glues will not hold up on a boat. Ask if
        > it is interior.
        >
        > HJ
        >
        > Hi All,
        > >
        > > Has anyone used 1/4" solid hardwood ply to build with? My local lumber yard has it
        > > but I have never used it. Its 4' x 8'.
        > >

        > > ------------------------------------
        > >
        > > Bolger rules!!!
        > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
        > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978)
        > > 282-1349
        > > - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups
        > > Links

      • Joseph Stromski
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 26, 2013
          Then its not plywood, its just "wood". You may want to clarify what you're looking at, cuz the chance of seeing a sheet of solid wood that's 4x8 are about zero. My guess is that its some sort of plywood, and it does indeed have glue.
          Best,
          Joe

          Its solid so there isn't any glue in it.

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, welshman@... wrote:

          > Usually that is interior plywood and the glues will not hold up on a boat. Ask if
          > it is interior.
          >
          > HJ
          >
          > Hi All,
          > >
          > > Has anyone used 1/4" solid hardwood ply to build with? My local lumber yard has it
          > > but I have never used it. Its 4' x 8'.
          > >

          > > ------------------------------------
          > >
          > > Bolger rules!!!
          > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
          > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978)
          > > 282-1349
          > > - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups
          > > Links

        • Andrew Porter
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 26, 2013
            Most, if not all plywood is made with exterior glue now.

            To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
            From: j.stromski@...
            Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:51:36 -0700
            Subject: Re: [bolger] Re: 1/4 " solid hardwood ply

            Then its not plywood, its just "wood". You may want to clarify what you're looking at, cuz the chance of seeing a sheet of solid wood that's 4x8 are about zero. My guess is that its some sort of plywood, and it does indeed have glue.
            Best,
            Joe

            Its solid so there isn't any glue in it.

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, welshman@... wrote:

            > Usually that is interior plywood and the glues will not hold up on a boat. Ask if
            > it is interior.
            >
            > HJ
            >
            > Hi All,
            > >
            > > Has anyone used 1/4" solid hardwood ply to build with? My local lumber yard has it
            > > but I have never used it. Its 4' x 8'.
            > >

            > > ------------------------------------
            > >
            > > Bolger rules!!!
            > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
            > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978)
            > > 282-1349
            > > - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups
            > > Links

          • chadnn
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 26, 2013
              OK, its not ply, its solid hardwood 1/4" 4'x8'. So has anyone used it?

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Stromski <j.stromski@...> wrote:

              > Then its not plywood, its just "wood". You may want to clarify what you're
              > looking at, cuz the chance of seeing a sheet of solid wood that's 4x8 are about
              > zero. My guess is that its some sort of plywood, and it does indeed have glue.
              > Best,
              > Joe
              >

              > ________________________________

            • loosemoosefilmworks
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 26, 2013
                Well color me interested...

                But in 4 x 8 sheets it's still going to be glued together and, I expect, unless those glue lines are purple it's not going to be too awfully boat friendly.

                But my big question is WHAT SORT OF HARDWOOD? Hardwood
                is such a big umbrella it includes everything from balsa to ironwood so a little more info is needful.

                Bob
                http://boatbits.blogspot.com/
                http://fishingundersail.blogspot.com/
                http://islandgourmand.blogspot.com/

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "chadnn" <chadnn@...> wrote:

                > OK, its not ply, its solid hardwood 1/4" 4'x8'. So has anyone used it?
                >
                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Stromski <j.stromski@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Then its not plywood, its just "wood". You may want to clarify what you're
                > > looking at, cuz the chance of seeing a sheet of solid wood that's 4x8 are about
                > > zero. My guess is that its some sort of plywood, and it does indeed have glue.
                > > Best,
                > > Joe
                > >

                > > ________________________________

              • harryjak
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 26, 2013
                  Personal experience says that is not so. And I have had failures on exterior
                  plywood also. The dishwasher test is a good first screening.

                  HJ

                  Most, if not all plywood is made with exterior glue now.

                  > To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: j.stromski@...
                  > Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:51:36 -0700
                  > Subject: Re: [bolger] Re: 1/4 " solid hardwood ply

                  > Then its not plywood, its just "wood". You may want to clarify what you're
                  > looking at, cuz the chance of seeing a sheet of solid wood that's 4x8 are
                  > about zero. My guess is that its some sort of plywood, and it does indeed
                  > have glue.Best,Joe

                • patricia hong
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 26, 2013
                    It would require a log larger than 4 ft diameter to made a " solid "
                    wooden panel without glue.
                    It would cost you your children , or more.
                    It would also be highly dimensionally unstable and totally unsuitable
                    to use to build anything .
                    You would be lucky to get a thin piece of veneer that size these days.
                    This could not possibly be solid , one piece " wood ".
                  • Frank and Jeannette
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 27, 2013
                      its called lumber core where i come from (nj ny)used mostley for cabinet work dont know about the glue
                    • phil.bolger
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 27, 2013
                        For broader context on the stuff, there’s always the WIKIPEDIA entry on ‘Plywood’...
                        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

                        Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2013 9:44 AM

                        its called lumber core where i come from (nj ny)used mostley for cabinet work dont know about the glue
                      • sirdarnell
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 27, 2013
                          1/4" veneer cut? Odd. Should be as durable as lumber of that species. You might see what Glen says about it.

                          http://www.glen-l.com/wood-plywood/bb-chap5c.html

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "chadnn" <chadnn@...> wrote:

                          > OK, its not ply, its solid hardwood 1/4" 4'x8'. So has anyone used it?

                        • prairiedog2332
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 27, 2013
                            Even exterior grade glues can fail dishwasher testing due what I have found seems to be starved joints. Poor quality control particularly in plywood from China. Some advertised as "solid core" has  a thicker central core with two onion skins added on the exterior. These outer skins will sometimes wrinkle in places as well. And not all "hard woods" are really all that hard. By definition - "A description applied to woods from deciduous broad-leafed trees (Angiosperms). The term has no reference to the actual hardness of the wood."

                            Nels

                            Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/hardwood#ixzz2RgBFBN3X

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

                            > For broader context on the stuff, there’s always the WIKIPEDIA entry on ‘Plywood’...
                            > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

                          • jdmeddock
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                              I wonder how they keep it from crawling off they racks once the un-band the pallets?
                              How do they get it flat when manufactured?

                              Justin

                              > 1/4" veneer cut? Odd. Should be as durable as lumber of that species. You might see what Glen says about it.
                            • Mason Smith
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

                                Folks, this thread is nonsense. Can we end it, please?

                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                                  Oh, come on, Mason.
                                  Some folks just like to talk solid hard wood and stuff...

                                  I must say that I feel quite ‘inferior’ with my predilections for that darn domestic farm-grown softwood Douglas-Fir-habit I’ve acquired.
                                  Perhaps, there’s a 12-step angle to help me  ?

                                  Susanne

                                  Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:46 AM

                                  Folks, this thread is nonsense. Can we end it, please?

                                  I wonder how they keep it from crawling off they racks once the un-band the pallets?
                                  How do they get it flat when manufactured?

                                  Justin

                                  > 1/4" veneer cut? Odd. Should be
                                  as durable as lumber of that species. You might see what Glen says about it.

                                • Michael Childs
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                                    In 40 plus years of woodworking, I have never seen a piece of solid wood 4' x 8'. The only wood product that size is plywood. Regardless of what the yard is telling you, it is plywood, probably with a solid core. Think about it. Go to a lumber yard and find a mahogany plank 24" to 36" across (They do exist). Then imagine some sort of saw cutting it into planks 1/4" thick. Impossible.

                                    Michael Childs
                                    415 828 9663 - 626 799 9796
                                    www.michaelchilds.com
                                    michael_v_childs@...
                                  • prairiedog2332
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                                      Perhaps an intervention called for? Can envision this as reality TV show subject.

                                      Dr. Phil; "So Susanne, when did you first become attracted to farm-grown Douglas Fir and how is that working for you?"

                                      Nice to see some lightness on a thread!

                                      Nels

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                                        Well, it was a grey and stormy day along the coast of the Pacific Northwest.  There I was amongst them... and...well, I’m not sure I should continue... – at any rate. YES I ADMIT IT – I’VE USED DOUG FIR...soft-wood Doug Fir...and, em...
                                        At any rate. There ‘it is’.  ‘nough sed !
                                        Susanne

                                        Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 12:38 PM

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

                                          What, Susanne, is somebody dissing fir plywood in this group? I didn’t catch that. If I stay away from fir ply myself, and I mostly do, it’s because I don’t like glassing anything I don’t have to glass, and I don’t much like multi-coating with epoxy if I don’t have to, either.

                                          Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:46 AM

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                                            No, just a lame attempt at out-doing the silly with more...
                                            Susanne

                                            Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 3:40 PM

                                            Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:46 AM