Re: [bolger] Re: lady slipper

  • Mike Allison
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 7 4:58 AM
      On 4/7/2013 4:35 AM, Mark Albanese wrote:

      Vincent,

      If you aren't aware of it, Ladyslipper is described in Bolger's Different Boats, including a photo. Used copies are starting about $75 now. You can probably have it in a matter of days through interlibrary loan.

      I don't know what you meant by "the pic on PB&F." People have been calling for an official PB&F website for years to no avail. Mr. Hallman's isometric compilation is the closest so far, but a Ladyslipper model is not included there either yet.

      Mark

      On Apr 6, 2013, at 9:45 PM, vincent wrote:

      I searched this site and found a short discussion about this vessel but no pictures. it's such an elusive vessel. the pic on PB&F is of the wrong boat.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "vincent" <motorcyclejack2@...> wrote:

      > hi all. I am new here. I have searched the web over and I can't find one picture or drawing of mr Bolger's lady slipper. I was referred to it, recently, and would love to see one. I am particularly interested in the keel. thanks.

      Here is the info on her from the Bolger database.

      Ladyslipper#3187'6' ' x 5' x 1'11' 'Sail - 925lbs. displ. PB&FKeel dinghy - ref: Diff. Boat Ch#2

      Mike Allison (North of Kansas City Mo, USA)
    • vincent
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 7 11:45 PM
        thanks for the responses, guys. I got what I was looking for. It is interesting that his keel is very different than on the mocro or old shoe. I would tend to think, because there is really only a leading edge and a trailing edge, wash over would be a greatly reduced problem.

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "vincent" <motorcyclejack2@...> wrote:

        > hi all. I am new here. I have searched the web over and I can't find one picture or drawing of mr Bolger's lady slipper. I was referred to it, recently, and would love to see one. I am particularly interested in the keel. thanks.

      • jdmeddock
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9 7:33 PM
          > Other designs of Phil's work the other way, the base line is at the
          > bottom and waterlines increase as you go up the drawing. I wonder

          I never noticed the baseline up/down in the drawings before. Never lofted a non-instant boat.

          Thumbing through DB I see Crystal, Prince William Sound Yawl and Wolf Trap are base line up... So it isn't just the small round ones.

          30-Odd has Swallow and Wisp base line up.

          FS has one of the chapter 18 Yacht Tenders base line up.

          Small Boats... Mippet, Poohsticks, Victoria, Thomaston Galley, Kotick. Vanatie and Seguin are base line up.

          That was a fast flip, so I may have missed some.
          I didn't count the instant boats that measured from ply edges.
          I don't have an "indoor" copy of BWAOM so it is out in the shop with the "dirty" book set.

          I understand base line down when a boat has deadflat like Dovekie or a keel with no drag angle.
          Was trying to guess from the back covers "I bet Harbinger is base line up".... NOPE, it is down.

          Are Lynx and Ladyslipper related?

          Justin
        • Peter
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 17 12:23 PM
            > Other designs of Phil's work the other way, the base line
            > is at the bottom and waterlines increase as you go up the drawing.

            Phil probably knew how Peter Duff would build the boat, and drew the plans to suit.