Re: [bolger] Sweet Pea - Self rescue?

  • gbroadlick@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28 5:44 PM
      I love sailing my sweet pea

      ----- Reply message -----
      From: "John Trussell" <jtrussell2@...>
      To: <bolger@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [bolger] Sweet Pea - Self rescue?
      Date: Wed, Mar 27, 2013 12:40 PM

      It’s been many years, but my Sweet Pea was built with the area under the end decks filled with foam (multiple layers of standard construction insulation cut to fit). I do not recall if this is included in the plans or was something I did on my own. I never tried stand up rowing. My recollection is that Sweet Pea had great reserve stability and I think that if you fell out of it, the boat would not capsize. For what it is worth, I think that the “slipping keel is overly complicated. I built mine with a fixed keel which wasn’t very effective and probably degraded rowing. If I were doing it again, I would build Sweet Pea as a pure rowing boat and forget about sailing.

      JohnT

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 29 5:37 AM

        I enjoyed sailing my Sweet Pea. I had the sprit sail (not the leg of mutton). Mine did not point very well and made somewhat more leeway than other sailboats in the vicinity. Off the wind, it was pretty good. If you are building Sweet Pea for sailing, I think the leg of mutton/Chesapeake sprit boom rig is the way to go. It should be noted that rowing and sailing requirements are not quite the same and that combination row/sail boats often compromise both. Bolger and Mike O’Brian have expressed the opinion that sailing gear is much in the way on a rowing boat and that the drag of a centerboard slot/keel degrades rowing performance…

        JohnT