RE: [bolger] Sweet Pea - Self rescue?

  • John Trussell
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 27, 2013

      It’s been many years, but my Sweet Pea was built with the area under the end decks filled with foam (multiple layers of standard construction insulation cut to fit). I do not recall if this is included in the plans or was something I did on my own. I never tried stand up rowing. My recollection is that Sweet Pea had great reserve stability and I think that if you fell out of it, the boat would not capsize. For what it is worth, I think that the “slipping keel is overly complicated. I built mine with a fixed keel which wasn’t very effective and probably degraded rowing. If I were doing it again, I would build Sweet Pea as a pure rowing boat and forget about sailing.

      JohnT

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2013
          i almost always sailed mine. i have flotation under the seats and in the compartments in the ends. i added two inches to the keel when i built her and a couple of years ago added a couple more to do the obx130. She sails great and is a blast to sail and fish at the same time.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6, 2013
            Thanks to everyone who responded to ( Sweet Pea Self Rescue?)
            Your valued opinions are greatly appreciated.
            Respectfully
            Mark Mirski