Re: Hot melt glue

  • jdmeddock
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 4, 2013
      > Why not use tie wraps?

      I tried that once.
      It just made a big mess out of my glue gun!
      MAybe I need low melt tie wraps?

      Justin
    • phil.bolger
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2013
        You've got to add mustard with that, spicy brown...
        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 5, 2013
          Hey, folks. Thanks for your replies on this.

          I wonder if the impression was given I wanted to glue something up permanently this way. Not so. Am working up a little project to finish bright, more a 2 foot boat than the 10 foot ones I'm used to doing, and have been considering ways to avoid blemishes, pencil marks preserved under epoxy, too many dings or holes etc.

          It was interesting to google this up a little, Like anything ya buy these days, there are many details and options to consider. The prominent hot melt glues are polyurethanes. There is a variety of formulations for different materials. They're said to clean up best with isopropyl alcohol or acetone. LocTite has a version claimed to be just right for wood, having lots of tooth into the grain, but I wonder if that makes it harder to clean off.

          The downside seems to be expense. It is easy to spend $150 for a gun and shots of glue are often $13.50, though a dedicated bargain hunter could probably do better than that.

          Why not wire, indeed? Or just duct tape.
          Mark
        • Mike Wright
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 5, 2013
            The best use I have found for cheap hot melt glue is to hold parts temporarily in place while marking them to length or while drilling screw holes for permanent attachment. recently, I used cheap hot melt (craft grade 3/8" clear sticks ) to hold the slats for seats in a dinghy I am building in place while drilling the screws and installing the braces that hold the seats together. When done, it popped off easily and the glue peeled off with little effort. The seats are perfect with little effort.
            Mike