ECHO SOUNDER

  • La
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2013
      Dear Friends
      These days a friend traveling to Miami and need an echo sounder and thought that one could tell me where to get some economic or used in good condition. Can be analog or digital.
      Or if any of the friends group have any to sell.
      Thank you very much
      Alberto
      Chubut Patagonia Argentina
    • Mark Albanese
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3, 2013
        Anyone here like using hot melt glue to hold a small s&g boat
        assembly together? Is it (really) strong enough too hold curved
        plywood in shape while flipping or moving around? Does it clean up
        easily?

        Thanks,
        Mark
      • Mason Smith
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 2013

          Not I. It might hold things together for filleting and taping but is it compatible with the other glue you’re going to use? It would occupy spaces I want filled with the real thing, and I would worry that it would contaminate and compromise epoxy bonds. And in what way would it be better than wire or screws, or any easier to apply?

          I had a famous guitar-maker take my class at WoodenBoat School, and he brought an array of super-glues which he recommended for all sorts of quick jobs. These glues would hold surprisingly well but prevent getting epoxy where you want it, i.e. in complete coverage of surfaces to be joined.

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 4, 2013

              Mark,

              My main marine use for hot  melt glue is to glue the tops on empty gallon milk jugs to provide extra flotation for Micro. That is the lightest floatation I can come up with. I wouldn’t count on it for hull assembly.

              MylesJ

            • sirdarnell
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 4, 2013
                Harold Payson used hot melt glue in boats with easy bends.

                > Anyone here like using hot melt glue to hold a small s&g boat
                > assembly together? Is it (really) strong enough too hold curved
                > plywood in shape while flipping or moving around? Does it clean up
                > easily?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Mark

              • jdmeddock
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 4, 2013
                  > Why not use tie wraps?

                  I tried that once.
                  It just made a big mess out of my glue gun!
                  MAybe I need low melt tie wraps?

                  Justin
                • phil.bolger
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 4, 2013
                    You've got to add mustard with that, spicy brown...
                    Susanne Altenburger, PB&F
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 5, 2013
                      Hey, folks. Thanks for your replies on this.

                      I wonder if the impression was given I wanted to glue something up permanently this way. Not so. Am working up a little project to finish bright, more a 2 foot boat than the 10 foot ones I'm used to doing, and have been considering ways to avoid blemishes, pencil marks preserved under epoxy, too many dings or holes etc.

                      It was interesting to google this up a little, Like anything ya buy these days, there are many details and options to consider. The prominent hot melt glues are polyurethanes. There is a variety of formulations for different materials. They're said to clean up best with isopropyl alcohol or acetone. LocTite has a version claimed to be just right for wood, having lots of tooth into the grain, but I wonder if that makes it harder to clean off.

                      The downside seems to be expense. It is easy to spend $150 for a gun and shots of glue are often $13.50, though a dedicated bargain hunter could probably do better than that.

                      Why not wire, indeed? Or just duct tape.
                      Mark
                    • Mike Wright
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 5, 2013
                        The best use I have found for cheap hot melt glue is to hold parts temporarily in place while marking them to length or while drilling screw holes for permanent attachment. recently, I used cheap hot melt (craft grade 3/8" clear sticks ) to hold the slats for seats in a dinghy I am building in place while drilling the screws and installing the braces that hold the seats together. When done, it popped off easily and the glue peeled off with little effort. The seats are perfect with little effort.
                        Mike