Re: Seaworthyness and stability Long Micro?

  • MylesJ. Swift
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 8, 2013

      Pat,

      I wasn’t the one with the reefing hook. I only have one set of reef points in my Micro sail. I run a simple recirculating line through each reef hole and loosely under the foot of the sail. Friction is low enough that way that I can drop the main a bit, pull the line taut, and tie it off where the last reef point meets the boom.

      Early on I tried the “proper” method of relocating the boom end to the last reef point. That was a pain, time consuming, and resulting in the boom banging hard on the mast. My way is fast, easy, and the boom doesn’t change position.

      MylesJ

    • John Kohnen
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 8, 2013
        Do you mean topping lift? Lazy jacks are usually referred to in the
        plural... You can use a topping lift with a regular sprit-boom. I Had one
        on my Michalak Jewelbox, Jr. and it made hoisting sail, furling and
        reefing it easier. I was gonna try experiment with lazy jacks hung from
        the topping lift, but never got around to it...

        You've pretty much gotta use a sail track on the mast to make reefing a
        sprit-boomed leg o' mutton reasonably safe and easy. I hate sail track,
        but it's necessary. <shrug>

        I don't know what a "reefing hook" is.

        --
        John (jkohnen@...)
        The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 9, 2013
          Just to clarify, there was never that option offered for the LONG MICRO sail rig. I enquired to Mr. Bolger a long time ago about a LONG MICRO NAVIGATOR but he was too busy at the time and there seemed to be a lack of interest in  his view. He suggested the MICRO NAV. option might be adaptable. The updated sheets (MICRO II?) cost $50 at the time. I posted a "teaser" view of them to Bolger 4.

          Two major points in my view were the much larger and fully battened mizzen which would aid in holding the bow to windward for reefing. The second was the forward hatch that allowed access to the bow well and main mast without having to go on deck. I think these two items might really be considered as necessary additions if building a LONG MICRO.

          Nels

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

          > On the issue of reefing MICRO or LONG MICRO, we explicitly offered as one option the fully-battened gaff-main version for easy pull-down per panel convenience. Different strokes for different folks. But not an issue that would de facto 'condemn' either MICRO in terms of safety in rising winds.
          >
          > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

        • phil.bolger
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 9, 2013
            LM should have the same options; already has the main-mast location.
            We thought that the determined will just do much of that work on their existing hull.
            Based on her current performance, these ergonomic upgrades would make LM perhaps one of the most potent small-cruisers.  I'd love to get to it right now... But no can do !  Yet.

            Susanne Altenburger, PB&F
            Just to clarify, there was never that option offered for the LONG MICRO sail rig. I enquired to Mr. Bolger a long time ago about a LONG MICRO NAVIGATOR but he was too busy at the time and there seemed to be a lack of interest in  his view. He suggested the MICRO NAV. option might be adaptable. The updated sheets (MICRO II?) cost $50 at the time. I posted a "teaser" view of them to Bolger 4.

            Two major points in my view were the much larger and fully battened mizzen which would aid in holding the bow to windward for reefing. The second was the forward hatch that allowed access to the bow well and main mast without having to go on deck. I think these two items might really be considered as necessary additions if building a LONG MICRO.

            Nels

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

            > On the issue of reefing MICRO or LONG MICRO, we explicitly offered as one option the fully-battened gaff-main version for easy pull-down per panel convenience. Different strokes for different folks. But not an issue that would de facto 'condemn' either MICRO in terms of safety in rising winds.
            >
            > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

          • prairiedog2332
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 9, 2013
              One challenge is how best to get steering capability into the deckhouse with LM. Regarding the cockpit not self-draining - well it is not supposed to have a cockpit. So some sort of whip staff might work?

              Nels

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

              > LM should have the same options; already has the main-mast location.
              > We thought that the determined will just do much of that work on their existing hull.
              > Based on her current performance, these ergonomic upgrades would make LM perhaps one of the most potent small-cruisers. I'd love to get to it right now... But no can do ! Yet.
              >
              > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

            • dnjost
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 9, 2013
                Sail was on sail track, not laced on. I had a ss hook tied to a piece of line and down to a block on the deck, then run aft to a small cleat on the aft edge of the deck near the cabin hatch. toughest part is unattaching and reattaching the sprit to the new location.

                It has been a long time, but I think this is what I did.
                Step 1. trim the mizzen in all the way
                Step 2. ease the main sheet
                step 3. ease the snotter
                step 4. undo the halyard.
                Step 5. pull on the reefing line and cleat
                step 6. move the sprit to it's new clew on the reef line (this is the hardest part)
                step 7. raise the halyard
                step 8. trim the snotter
                step 9. smile incessently and go sailing.

                It probably took longer to type this than do it. all told about 2 minutes.

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Pat wrote:

                > Hi Myles
                >
                > Thanks for sharing your procedure for reefing but could you elaborate on
                > the reefing hook arrangement. When you say "My sail was on a track with a
                > reefing hook attached...". Do you mean you have a line to the reefing hook
                > from the cock pit?
                >
                > I was just doing a bit of research on the advantages of a wishbone boom
                > similar to the Canadian Nonesuch design. A bit more complicated in
                > construction and rigging but the lazy jack seems to solve the reefing
                > problems.
                >
                > Cheers
                > Pat
                >
                > vid of Nonesuch reefing sytem
                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgoJWgDnDe8

              • Mason Smith
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 10, 2013

                  For reefing the Micro’s mainsail I like David’s reefing downhaul idea (though going forward to tie down the reef cringle to the tack doesn’t bother me much, especially if Maggie does it). But I prefer not to move the sprit boom forward. If you have a long enough piece of line on the reef clew, you can take a round turn around the boom and lead it aft, to the end of the boom or the original clew, making it serve also as an outhaul. This way you preserve the main sheeting angle. The YouTube video “Micros in the Harbor” shows both my and David’s Micros sailing reefed at Phil’s Memorial in 2010. I just accepted a down payment on my Micro, by the way. Maggie is disgusted with me. ---Mason

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 10, 2013
                    wow...I had not thought of that. lash the new clew to the sprit boom and then lead it aft through an outhaul type arrangement. I am currently working on building a Core Sound 17, that uses such and arrangement with it's sprit. (hence my lack of posts on the Bolger forum). Although the sketch of the AS 29 still hangs in the office. Someday...

                    Happy building,
                    David