Re: Seaworthyness an stability Long Micro?

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2013
      I have sailed my Long Micro for trips as long a 2 weeks.
      Here are a few observations about its handling characteristics.

      1 )feels very stable no surprising healing or accelerations.
      2) Her motion to windward feel quite awkward because of the flat bottom and wide beam
      3) It is quite difficult to reef single handed as when the wind picks up to over 20kts she wont heave too very well, or at all. This can be very dangerous.
      4) the cabin top is not designed to be water tight if it was submerged in a capsize the cabin would fill
      5) cockpit is huge and not self draining
      6) mainsail is too large to handle offshore in a blow
      7) there is no way to reef the mizzen safely from cockpit
      9) it is quite difficult but not impossible  to design a bimmi for shade as the boom or bottom will hit it

      All in all it is a good boat for its intended design criteria ( inshore cruiser) I would be very care full taking it offshore without making the following changes

      1) Make cabin waterproof by redesigning sliding hatch
      2) Make cockpit self draining
      3) Consider another rig such as Junk sail
      4) Add more flotation inside cabin or under cockpit
      5) find way to reef mizzen from cockpit
      6) add boom gallows to control sprit also helps with  reefing mainsail
      7) find some way to design shelter during a storm

      Cheers
      Pat
      I have posted a few vids on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnvW4Kibofo
    • c.ruzer
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2013
        A Long Micro navigator conversion would provide answers to the following...