Copies of Small Boats

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013

      Google's ad roulette came up with these, some good bargains, today.

    • c.ruzer
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2013
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

        > As a footnote:

        > ...ongoing work towards sustainable fishing-craft,

        http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/31/us/northeast-cod-fishing-cuts/index.html?iref=obnetwork

        Historic cod fishing cuts threaten centuries-old industry in New England

        ...But Gloucester, like many coastal towns, now faces the largest cuts ever to the region's commercial fishing industry. An advisory council voted Wednesday to slash cod catch rates by 77% in the Gulf of Maine, a region roughly the size of Indiana that extends from Cape Cod up through Nova Scotia.

        ...While larger commercial trawlers capable of traveling to more distant fishing grounds are expected to survive, the plan will likely cost most of the region's smaller crews their jobs.

        "Fifteen years from now, it'll all be corporate," Robillard said. "The mom-and-pop days are over."

        ...Environmentalists say depleted stocks show the region needs time to recover in order to save it.

        But fishermen are furious.
      • Mike Graf
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2013
          Fascinating topic....Mark Kuriansky's book "Cod" tells the story so well.

           We so often look @ history from the American perspective only...but the mighty Cod has fed mankind for hundreds of years.   Who knew.. the Bosque were sailing to the Grand Banks (long before anyone was even thinking about America) harvesting cod, salting it, sailing back to Europe and selling it to  the Catholics in Spain!
              Their livelihoods too dried up when the rest of Europe "discovered" the American Cod Banks.
           Americas history IS story of Cod   Anyone on this who loves boats, the sea or eating would love this little book

          I came away thinking...... We(mankind) owe Cod a whole lot......... Let's give em a break.. They'll come back and feed us for another thousand years.

          On 02/03/2013 07:10 AM, c.ruzer wrote:

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

          > As a footnote:

          > ...ongoing work towards sustainable fishing-craft,

          http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/31/us/northeast-cod-fishing-cuts/index.html?iref=obnetwork

          Historic cod fishing cuts threaten centuries-old industry in New England

          ...But Gloucester, like many coastal towns, now faces the largest cuts ever to the region's commercial fishing industry. An advisory council voted Wednesday to slash cod catch rates by 77% in the Gulf of Maine, a region roughly the size of Indiana that extends from Cape Cod up through Nova Scotia.

          ...While larger commercial trawlers capable of traveling to more distant fishing grounds are expected to survive, the plan will likely cost most of the region's smaller crews their jobs.

          "Fifteen years from now, it'll all be corporate," Robillard said. "The mom-and-pop days are over."

          ...Environmentalists say depleted stocks show the region needs time to recover in order to save it.

          But fishermen are furious.

        • RSS
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2013
            7.2 billion people. Too many people for the resources. If the commercial fishers are pissed, just think how pissed they are going to be when the last fish is caught! We humans are apparently too stupid to face the reality.
            Bob

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mike Graf wrote:

            > Fascinating topic....Mark Kuriansky's book "Cod" tells the story so well.
            >
            > We so often look @ history from the American perspective only...but
            > the mighty Cod has fed mankind for hundreds of years. Who knew.. the
            > Bosque were sailing to the Grand Banks (long before anyone was even
            > thinking about America) harvesting cod, salting it, sailing back to
            > Europe and selling it to the Catholics in Spain!
            > Their livelihoods too dried up when the rest of Europe "discovered"
            > the American Cod Banks.
            > Americas history IS story of Cod Anyone on this who loves boats, the
            > sea or eating would love this little book
            >
            > I came away thinking...... We(mankind) owe Cod a whole lot.........
            > Let's give em a break.. They'll come back and feed us for another
            > thousand years.
            >

            > On 02/03/2013 07:10 AM, c.ruzer wrote:
            > >

            > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com , wrote:
            > >
            > > > As a footnote:
            > >
            > > > ...ongoing work towards sustainable fishing-craft,
            > >
            > > http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/31/us/northeast-cod-fishing-cuts/index.html?iref=obnetwork
            > >
            > > Historic cod fishing cuts threaten centuries-old industry in New England
            > >
            > > ...But Gloucester, like many coastal towns, now faces the largest cuts
            > > ever to the region's commercial fishing industry. An advisory council
            > > voted Wednesday to slash cod catch rates by 77% in the Gulf of Maine,
            > > a region roughly the size of Indiana that extends from Cape Cod up
            > > through Nova Scotia.
            > >
            > > ...While larger commercial trawlers capable of traveling to more
            > > distant fishing grounds are expected to survive, the plan will likely
            > > cost most of the region's smaller crews their jobs.
            > >
            > > "Fifteen years from now, it'll all be corporate," Robillard said. "The
            > > mom-and-pop days are over."
            > >
            > > ...Environmentalists say depleted stocks show the region needs time to
            > > recover in order to save it.
            > >
            > > But fishermen are furious.

          • BruceHallman
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 4, 2013
              On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 5:09 PM, RSS <otter55806@...> wrote:

              7.2 billion people. Too many people for the resources. If the commercial fishers are pissed, just think how pissed they are going to be when the last fish is caught! We humans are apparently too stupid to face the reality.
              Bob

              The core issue is that fishing for a living is economically possible with gas guzzling boats that require a big mortgage to purchase.

              The PB&F 'Advanced Fisherman' concept boats do not guzzle gas, and do not cost much to acquire  and  could be operated at a tolerable profit in an era of reduced quotas due to depletion of fish stock.