Re: [bolger] Mission #1 in support of PB&F

  • BruceHallman
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 25, 2013
    • 342 KB
    On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 6:56 AM, <philbolger@...> wrote:

    I'll quote Phil on this and share her lines in MAIB.  Her shape is one of those exercises that make his work to interesting.  Instead of going 'standard-issue' whatever, he figures another approach which clearly worked and was executed without dramatics and without any ship-yard to support the construction...

    Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

    This could be a parlor game, guessing what Phuma looks like below the water lines.  Here is my guess.

  • Harry James
    Message 33 of 33 , May 13, 2013
      Susanne

      I had emailed you off list about this and got no answer, I presume your spam filter did it in as my email routing makes most filters go on alert. I came north on 5 instead of 101. I am back in AK now, the next time I will be down there is this next fall and if nobody else takes it on I could take a look during the winter.

      HJ

      On 5/13/2013 9:02 AM, philbolger@... wrote:
      Any news on anyone’s interest in pursuing this proposal ?

      Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

      Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 6:28 PM
      Subject: [bolger] Mission #1 in support of PB&F

      Hello All.
      There is a fair bit, I think, I will need help with towards pulling together all sorts of odds and ends to consolidate the knowledge-base on matters 'Bolger'.

      These 'Missions' will emerge in random occurrence as I run up against a challenge, someone (or -two) amongst you might have a (reasonably ?) handy way of resolving for me.  This one seems like a fine excuse to 'invest' a long day in a road-trip - unless you are already there...
      Mission #1:
      - Design #410 "Phouma" (Steel Oceanographic Research Motorsailing Vessel) 96'6/125' as stretched during construction x 16'x 3'6".

      - Task: There are no decent photos of her afloat in the files.  It would be great to get a bunch of high-res. ones from all angles.

      - Location: Last seen in Eureka, CA, north of the City, via Route 255, in the marina on the south-side of Woodley Island. According to GOOGLE EARTH she is on the outside of the western-most 300+ feet long floating pier. GOOGLE EARTH offers a few shots of her from land and from water.

      - Challenge:
      1. While she seems to still be securely tucked away alongside a pier in the shadow of a sizable barrier-island along the Pacific, topography suggests that getting her full profile (unfortunately without spars beyond her two masts) would require a watercraft as a photo-platform or a very long lens w/ tripod located to her South-West on the mainland (City).
      2. As so often in matters photographic, timing matters.  She is oriented in a north-south position, with bow facing south.
      3. This being the Pacific coastline with just a low barrier-island to the west or of course from afloat, the best lighting I would assume would be between early afternoon all the way up to sunset.
      4. Weather might be a challenge, as nearby a test-facility pioneered instrument landing due to frequent and 'reliably' heavy fog.
      5. No 'per diem' available.  Just a fine excuse to hit Highway 101 to go and see #410...

      - Her owner lives in Eureka.  Last year I talked with him on friendly terms.  Depending upon his perspective, he might collaborate in this 'Mission' perhaps with on-deck access or even perhaps below.
      It could be that eventually she would be available for a new and unusual mission in light of her very unorthodox proportions and layout.
      But first the visuals 'for the record' with photographer duly referenced in photo-credits later.

      So there it is.  Cue the theme...
      "Should you accept this mission...yadayadah...will self-destruct in 10 seconds !"

      Susanne Altenburger, PB&F