Re: [bolger] Mission #1 in support of PB&F

  • phil.bolger
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 24, 2013
      I'll quote Phil on this and share her lines in MAIB.  Her shape is one of those exercises that make his work to interesting.  Instead of going 'standard-issue' whatever, he figures another approach which clearly worked and was executed without dramatics and without any ship-yard to support the construction...

      Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

      Message 33 of 33 , May 13, 2013
        Susanne

        I had emailed you off list about this and got no answer, I presume your spam filter did it in as my email routing makes most filters go on alert. I came north on 5 instead of 101. I am back in AK now, the next time I will be down there is this next fall and if nobody else takes it on I could take a look during the winter.

        HJ

        On 5/13/2013 9:02 AM, philbolger@... wrote:
        Any news on anyone’s interest in pursuing this proposal ?

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

        Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 6:28 PM
        Subject: [bolger] Mission #1 in support of PB&F

        Hello All.
        There is a fair bit, I think, I will need help with towards pulling together all sorts of odds and ends to consolidate the knowledge-base on matters 'Bolger'.

        These 'Missions' will emerge in random occurrence as I run up against a challenge, someone (or -two) amongst you might have a (reasonably ?) handy way of resolving for me.  This one seems like a fine excuse to 'invest' a long day in a road-trip - unless you are already there...
        Mission #1:
        - Design #410 "Phouma" (Steel Oceanographic Research Motorsailing Vessel) 96'6/125' as stretched during construction x 16'x 3'6".

        - Task: There are no decent photos of her afloat in the files.  It would be great to get a bunch of high-res. ones from all angles.

        - Location: Last seen in Eureka, CA, north of the City, via Route 255, in the marina on the south-side of Woodley Island. According to GOOGLE EARTH she is on the outside of the western-most 300+ feet long floating pier. GOOGLE EARTH offers a few shots of her from land and from water.

        - Challenge:
        1. While she seems to still be securely tucked away alongside a pier in the shadow of a sizable barrier-island along the Pacific, topography suggests that getting her full profile (unfortunately without spars beyond her two masts) would require a watercraft as a photo-platform or a very long lens w/ tripod located to her South-West on the mainland (City).
        2. As so often in matters photographic, timing matters.  She is oriented in a north-south position, with bow facing south.
        3. This being the Pacific coastline with just a low barrier-island to the west or of course from afloat, the best lighting I would assume would be between early afternoon all the way up to sunset.
        4. Weather might be a challenge, as nearby a test-facility pioneered instrument landing due to frequent and 'reliably' heavy fog.
        5. No 'per diem' available.  Just a fine excuse to hit Highway 101 to go and see #410...

        - Her owner lives in Eureka.  Last year I talked with him on friendly terms.  Depending upon his perspective, he might collaborate in this 'Mission' perhaps with on-deck access or even perhaps below.
        It could be that eventually she would be available for a new and unusual mission in light of her very unorthodox proportions and layout.
        But first the visuals 'for the record' with photographer duly referenced in photo-credits later.

        So there it is.  Cue the theme...
        "Should you accept this mission...yadayadah...will self-destruct in 10 seconds !"

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F