Re: [bolger] Mission #1 in support of PB&F

  • BruceHallman
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 22, 2013
      Hi Harry,

      You always are welcome to borrow any of my boats.  They all are more than a bit neglected, but the Cartoon 5, Tortoise, and Kotick are stored on the roof of my garage in SF, and the Micro (sorely neglected in the marina by the ballpark) and the Topaz Spyder is in a boatyard in Dogpatch.  My spare time comes in very small chunks now-a-days with first priority being my health and marriage.  Followed by my day job, and this endless remodel of a money-pit 125 year old house.

      Bruce

      On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM, <welshman@...> wrote:

      Bruce

      I am down in Napa Valley Marina for the winter. Here's why

      http://www.hjboats.com/columbia38/index.html

      Maybe I could borrow one of your boats, I have my long bed chevy with me. It has a
      rack and a camper shell that I am using for tool hauling.

      500 mile round trip from here. It would be a bit before I could get to it---if at all.

      HJ

    • Harry James
      Message 33 of 33 , May 13 12:01 PM
        Susanne

        I had emailed you off list about this and got no answer, I presume your spam filter did it in as my email routing makes most filters go on alert. I came north on 5 instead of 101. I am back in AK now, the next time I will be down there is this next fall and if nobody else takes it on I could take a look during the winter.

        HJ

        On 5/13/2013 9:02 AM, philbolger@... wrote:
        Any news on anyone’s interest in pursuing this proposal ?

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

        Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 6:28 PM
        Subject: [bolger] Mission #1 in support of PB&F

        Hello All.
        There is a fair bit, I think, I will need help with towards pulling together all sorts of odds and ends to consolidate the knowledge-base on matters 'Bolger'.

        These 'Missions' will emerge in random occurrence as I run up against a challenge, someone (or -two) amongst you might have a (reasonably ?) handy way of resolving for me.  This one seems like a fine excuse to 'invest' a long day in a road-trip - unless you are already there...
        Mission #1:
        - Design #410 "Phouma" (Steel Oceanographic Research Motorsailing Vessel) 96'6/125' as stretched during construction x 16'x 3'6".

        - Task: There are no decent photos of her afloat in the files.  It would be great to get a bunch of high-res. ones from all angles.

        - Location: Last seen in Eureka, CA, north of the City, via Route 255, in the marina on the south-side of Woodley Island. According to GOOGLE EARTH she is on the outside of the western-most 300+ feet long floating pier. GOOGLE EARTH offers a few shots of her from land and from water.

        - Challenge:
        1. While she seems to still be securely tucked away alongside a pier in the shadow of a sizable barrier-island along the Pacific, topography suggests that getting her full profile (unfortunately without spars beyond her two masts) would require a watercraft as a photo-platform or a very long lens w/ tripod located to her South-West on the mainland (City).
        2. As so often in matters photographic, timing matters.  She is oriented in a north-south position, with bow facing south.
        3. This being the Pacific coastline with just a low barrier-island to the west or of course from afloat, the best lighting I would assume would be between early afternoon all the way up to sunset.
        4. Weather might be a challenge, as nearby a test-facility pioneered instrument landing due to frequent and 'reliably' heavy fog.
        5. No 'per diem' available.  Just a fine excuse to hit Highway 101 to go and see #410...

        - Her owner lives in Eureka.  Last year I talked with him on friendly terms.  Depending upon his perspective, he might collaborate in this 'Mission' perhaps with on-deck access or even perhaps below.
        It could be that eventually she would be available for a new and unusual mission in light of her very unorthodox proportions and layout.
        But first the visuals 'for the record' with photographer duly referenced in photo-credits later.

        So there it is.  Cue the theme...
        "Should you accept this mission...yadayadah...will self-destruct in 10 seconds !"

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F