Re: [bolger] Mission #1 in support of PB&F

  • harryjak
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 21, 2013
      Bruce

      I am down in Napa Valley Marina for the winter. Here's why

      http://www.hjboats.com/columbia38/index.html

      Maybe I could borrow one of your boats, I have my long bed chevy with me. It has a
      rack and a camper shell that I am using for tool hauling.

      500 mile round trip from here. It would be a bit before I could get to it---if at all.

      HJ

      I would love to find a slot in my tight schedule to do this! Judging from
      > the photos online all being from a public beach opposite side of the
      > channel, the best thing would be to bring a cartop rowboat to get good
      > photo angles.
      >
      > On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:20 AM, <philbolger@...> wrote:
      >
      >> **
      >>

      >> **
      >> Thank you Bruce.
      >> These images do help some.
      >> But I'd state there continues to be a need to see Mission #1 engaged in by
      >> someone closer to Eureka, CA than I can be. From San Francisco for
      >> instance, I believe it would be a good day round-trip on the Redwoods
      >> Highway (Route 101)...
      >>
      >> Thanks for this effort to find images for her.
      >>
      >> Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

    • Harry James
      Message 33 of 33 , May 13 12:01 PM
        Susanne

        I had emailed you off list about this and got no answer, I presume your spam filter did it in as my email routing makes most filters go on alert. I came north on 5 instead of 101. I am back in AK now, the next time I will be down there is this next fall and if nobody else takes it on I could take a look during the winter.

        HJ

        On 5/13/2013 9:02 AM, philbolger@... wrote:
        Any news on anyone’s interest in pursuing this proposal ?

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

        Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 6:28 PM
        Subject: [bolger] Mission #1 in support of PB&F

        Hello All.
        There is a fair bit, I think, I will need help with towards pulling together all sorts of odds and ends to consolidate the knowledge-base on matters 'Bolger'.

        These 'Missions' will emerge in random occurrence as I run up against a challenge, someone (or -two) amongst you might have a (reasonably ?) handy way of resolving for me.  This one seems like a fine excuse to 'invest' a long day in a road-trip - unless you are already there...
        Mission #1:
        - Design #410 "Phouma" (Steel Oceanographic Research Motorsailing Vessel) 96'6/125' as stretched during construction x 16'x 3'6".

        - Task: There are no decent photos of her afloat in the files.  It would be great to get a bunch of high-res. ones from all angles.

        - Location: Last seen in Eureka, CA, north of the City, via Route 255, in the marina on the south-side of Woodley Island. According to GOOGLE EARTH she is on the outside of the western-most 300+ feet long floating pier. GOOGLE EARTH offers a few shots of her from land and from water.

        - Challenge:
        1. While she seems to still be securely tucked away alongside a pier in the shadow of a sizable barrier-island along the Pacific, topography suggests that getting her full profile (unfortunately without spars beyond her two masts) would require a watercraft as a photo-platform or a very long lens w/ tripod located to her South-West on the mainland (City).
        2. As so often in matters photographic, timing matters.  She is oriented in a north-south position, with bow facing south.
        3. This being the Pacific coastline with just a low barrier-island to the west or of course from afloat, the best lighting I would assume would be between early afternoon all the way up to sunset.
        4. Weather might be a challenge, as nearby a test-facility pioneered instrument landing due to frequent and 'reliably' heavy fog.
        5. No 'per diem' available.  Just a fine excuse to hit Highway 101 to go and see #410...

        - Her owner lives in Eureka.  Last year I talked with him on friendly terms.  Depending upon his perspective, he might collaborate in this 'Mission' perhaps with on-deck access or even perhaps below.
        It could be that eventually she would be available for a new and unusual mission in light of her very unorthodox proportions and layout.
        But first the visuals 'for the record' with photographer duly referenced in photo-credits later.

        So there it is.  Cue the theme...
        "Should you accept this mission...yadayadah...will self-destruct in 10 seconds !"

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F