Re: [bolger] Re: Elco 26 Imitation??

  • captainrocky99
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 21, 2013
      Would you recommend Ford on the Chevy site or try to tout Coke on the Pepsi site ? Nothing against an imitator but this IS a Bolger site. Sues response was a lot milder than mine would have been. Nice restraint Sue! Capt. Rocky

      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 21, 2013
        I appreciate the 'diplomatic angle', Matthew.

        Continuing the MAIB design-column is in part intended to let it be known to those who did not notice my work during Phil's and my collaboration across 15 years that this office is gradually easing back into design-work again.  Lot's to be done.  Including many 'left-overs' from the more tragic times.

        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

        Honestly, Susanne, I would take it as form of flattery. Jim Michalak's designs have long been part of this discussion group--a quick search shows over 2,400 messages mentioning "Michalak" going back to 1999.

        Jim has taken on a few of Phil's many innovations--in this case the developed plywood sheet small boat, the Birdwatcher cabin and a fondness for lug sails--and continued to riff on those chords for quite a few years now, developing a stable of designs to fill a wide range of amateur builder needs. Jim would be the first to admit that he builds on the Bolger/Payson instant boat legacy and, I would add, with a touch of his own creativity.

        I think that most of us consider Jim to be a Bolger "disciple," a tribute to Phil's lasting influence on amateur building and small boat design.

        Cheers from Nairobi,

        Matthew

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

        > I doubt I'll ever get used to folks selling other folks' design-services and designs in this particular forum...
        >
        > Yoh, Schultz, what do you think of the recent installments in MAIB ?
        >
        > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

      • Matthew Long
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 22, 2013
          I guess we'll have to agree to disagree there, Rocky. PCB was never afraid to acknowledge the influence of other designers or even point a potential client to another designer if that would be better match. He often acknowledged other designers in his work. IIRC, he mentioned Jim Michalak in BWAOM as the consulting engineer on the mast of his big steel leeboard sharpie motorsailer for Pacific island commerce. Like I said, this group has long included Jim's work in it's discussions. Cheers, Matthew

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, captainrocky@... wrote:

          > Would you recommend Ford on the Chevy site or try to tout Coke on the Pepsi site ? Nothing against an imitator but this IS a Bolger site. Sues response was a lot milder than mine would have been. Nice restraint Sue! Capt. Rocky
        • Gregory
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 23, 2013
            The Bolger group is in fact all inclusive for boating and boatbuilding - especially Bolger and Bolger-inspired. Any "on-topic" within that range is fair game. The goal is to build more boats and promote and propagate PCB's and SA's boats, plans, and ideas or even extrapolations.

            }Description
            }Discussing and building Philip C. Bolger's (1927-2009) boat designs }and similar.
            }
            }This is a spam-free, on topic group - pretty much anything boating, }design, or boat-building related is fair game. Please don't repost }Spam. Spammers and flamers will be bounced off.

            BTW, who here still dates back to Chris Noto's listserver from the 90's? Anyone?

            Anyone wishing to discuss list mechanics/politics are welcome to email me off-list. Otherwise, everyone's welcome here.

            Gregg Carlson/Moderator

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Long" wrote:

            > I guess we'll have to agree to disagree there, Rocky. PCB was never afraid to acknowledge the influence of other designers or even point a potential client to another designer if that would be better match. He often acknowledged other designers in his work. IIRC, he mentioned Jim Michalak in BWAOM as the consulting engineer on the mast of his big steel leeboard sharpie motorsailer for Pacific island commerce. Like I said, this group has long included Jim's work in it's discussions. Cheers, Matthew
            >
            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, captainrocky@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Would you recommend Ford on the Chevy site or try to tout Coke on the Pepsi site ? Nothing against an imitator but this IS a Bolger site. Sues response was a lot milder than mine would have been. Nice restraint Sue! Capt. Rocky

          • John Kohnen
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 23, 2013
              Me! I've been here just about forever...

              On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 17:26:31 -0800, Gregg wrote:

              > The Bolger group is in fact all inclusive for boating and boatbuilding -
              > especially Bolger and Bolger-inspired. Any "on-topic" within that range
              > is fair game. The goal is to build more boats and promote and propagate
              > PCB's and SA's boats, plans, and ideas or even extrapolations.
              > BTW, who here still dates back to Chris Noto's listserver from the 90's?
              > Anyone?

              John (jkohnen@...)
              His heart was bound in oak and triple brass who first committed
              a fragile bark to the raging sea... (Horace)