Re: Elco 26 Imitation??

  • Matthew Long
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 19, 2013
      I'd like to make a plug for a the stock Tennessee with a folding or fixed canvas top over the cockpit.  It would not look at all like an Elco, but it's a fantastic design for the kind of inland pleasure cruising you have in mind.  It's inexpensive and easy to build, a modest four-stroke outboard (9.9-15 hp) will push it quietly at 10 knots, you have room for a little galley, head and berths to seat four or sleep two and more could camp in the cockpit just by adding side panels to the canopy.  It's light enough to be pulled by an ordinary car, despite the long length.  A little attention to detail in the shape of the ports, a mix of painted and varnished surfaces, etc. will give it a nice period look.  Personally, it's one of my favorites.

      <http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/tenn4.jpg>
    • Wayne Gilham
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 19, 2013

        Idaho.

        great cabin , it's all-view.  Forward and aft cockpit.  Designed for Bernie Wolfard, who was wheelchair-bound, thus NO PROBLEM to move about.

        "snipping" from prior posts of others here, about this boat:

        here is what PCB writes:

        Tennessee is lighter, cheaper in materials, quicker to build, and more efficient with low power (ten horsepower is ample and as much as she can efficiently use).  Idaho is stronger, faster with more power, and has more useful space as designed.  They are about equally capable in rough water.  neither is  properly called seaworthy, defined as "having the ability to keep the sea in all weather with reasonable safety."  In either you should expect to exercize prudence as to weather in the Bay!

        and from others:

        TN is a displacement hull, designed for low power and low speeds. 10-15 HP

        gives 10-12 mph max, cruise at 8  mph. Putting a bigger engine on TN won't

        make it go much faster, it would just make bigger waves.

        ID is a planing hull, designed to operate at higher speeds given adequate

        horsepower. 25-35 HP gives 20+ mph. ID should cruise at a higher speed than

        TN, maybe 12 mph.

        For those who are incredulous about this boat's reported smoothness in a chop, see this YouTube video from one launched in Argentina -- go to minute 2:00 thru 2:54 for shots of her cruising so un-ruffled in a good chop... amazing!     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vox3gnHtAE4

        Regards,

        Wayne Gilham

        who hasn't yet committed to building one of these, but sure is tempted....

        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 20, 2013
          IMO Jim Michalak would be a good choice to commission to design something similar that would be an EZ plywood build. It would likely be based on the AF-4 Casa, or AF-4G.

          Don
        • phil.bolger
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 20, 2013
            I doubt I'll ever get used to folks selling other folks' design-services and designs in this particular forum...

            Yoh, Schultz, what do you think of the recent installments in MAIB ?

            Susanne Altenburger, PB&F
            IMO Jim Michalak would be a good choice to commission to design something similar that would be an EZ plywood build. It would likely be based on the AF-4 Casa, or AF-4G.

            Don

          • Bill Kreamer
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 20, 2013
              Susanne you may take it as an indication of just how popular, inclusive, indispensable and vital this forum has become. We look up to you. Hope that helps some...

              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 20, 2013
                That may be a more sensible response than mine...
                Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 20, 2013
                  Honestly, Susanne, I would take it as form of flattery. Jim Michalak's designs have long been part of this discussion group--a quick search shows over 2,400 messages mentioning "Michalak" going back to 1999.

                  Jim has taken on a few of Phil's many innovations--in this case the developed plywood sheet small boat, the Birdwatcher cabin and a fondness for lug sails--and continued to riff on those chords for quite a few years now, developing a stable of designs to fill a wide range of amateur builder needs. Jim would be the first to admit that he builds on the Bolger/Payson instant boat legacy and, I would add, with a touch of his own creativity.

                  I think that most of us consider Jim to be a Bolger "disciple," a tribute to Phil's lasting influence on amateur building and small boat design.

                  Cheers from Nairobi,

                  Matthew

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

                  > I doubt I'll ever get used to folks selling other folks' design-services and designs in this particular forum...
                  >
                  > Yoh, Schultz, what do you think of the recent installments in MAIB ?
                  >
                  > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F
                • Peter
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 21, 2013
                    > Yoh, Schultz, what do you think of the recent installments in MAIB ?

                    I'm not Schultz, but while I was looking up a couple of the older designs to suggest, I did wonder if an adaptation of the Robin Jean model would fit the bill. It seems to be about the same size, and would be more stable platform than the Elco.

                    I remember seeing a boat of the Elco type in Long Island Sound a few year ago. It was a breezy day with significant chop, though I don't remember how much. I was struck by how much the boat rolled and although she looked great, she also looked uncomfortable.

                    Peter
                  • captainrocky99
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 21, 2013
                      Would you recommend Ford on the Chevy site or try to tout Coke on the Pepsi site ? Nothing against an imitator but this IS a Bolger site. Sues response was a lot milder than mine would have been. Nice restraint Sue! Capt. Rocky

                      Honestly, Susanne, I would take it as form of flattery. Jim Michalak's designs have long been part of this discussion group--a quick search shows over 2,400 messages mentioning "Michalak" going back to 1999.

                      Jim has taken on a few of Phil's many innovations--in this case the developed plywood sheet small boat, the Birdwatcher cabin and a fondness for lug sails--and continued to riff on those chords for quite a few years now, developing a stable of designs to fill a wide range of amateur builder needs. Jim would be the first to admit that he builds on the Bolger/Payson instant boat legacy and, I would add, with a touch of his own creativity.

                      I think that most of us consider Jim to be a Bolger "disciple," a tribute to Phil's lasting influence on amateur building and small boat design.

                      Cheers from Nairobi,

                      Matthew

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

                      > I doubt I'll ever get used to folks selling other folks' design-services and designs in this particular forum...
                      >
                      > Yoh, Schultz, what do you think of the recent installments in MAIB ?
                      >
                      > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

                    • phil.bolger
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 21, 2013
                        I appreciate the 'diplomatic angle', Matthew.

                        Continuing the MAIB design-column is in part intended to let it be known to those who did not notice my work during Phil's and my collaboration across 15 years that this office is gradually easing back into design-work again.  Lot's to be done.  Including many 'left-overs' from the more tragic times.

                        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

                        Honestly, Susanne, I would take it as form of flattery. Jim Michalak's designs have long been part of this discussion group--a quick search shows over 2,400 messages mentioning "Michalak" going back to 1999.

                        Jim has taken on a few of Phil's many innovations--in this case the developed plywood sheet small boat, the Birdwatcher cabin and a fondness for lug sails--and continued to riff on those chords for quite a few years now, developing a stable of designs to fill a wide range of amateur builder needs. Jim would be the first to admit that he builds on the Bolger/Payson instant boat legacy and, I would add, with a touch of his own creativity.

                        I think that most of us consider Jim to be a Bolger "disciple," a tribute to Phil's lasting influence on amateur building and small boat design.

                        Cheers from Nairobi,

                        Matthew

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

                        > I doubt I'll ever get used to folks selling other folks' design-services and designs in this particular forum...
                        >
                        > Yoh, Schultz, what do you think of the recent installments in MAIB ?
                        >
                        > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

                      • Matthew Long
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 22, 2013
                          I guess we'll have to agree to disagree there, Rocky. PCB was never afraid to acknowledge the influence of other designers or even point a potential client to another designer if that would be better match. He often acknowledged other designers in his work. IIRC, he mentioned Jim Michalak in BWAOM as the consulting engineer on the mast of his big steel leeboard sharpie motorsailer for Pacific island commerce. Like I said, this group has long included Jim's work in it's discussions. Cheers, Matthew

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, captainrocky@... wrote:

                          > Would you recommend Ford on the Chevy site or try to tout Coke on the Pepsi site ? Nothing against an imitator but this IS a Bolger site. Sues response was a lot milder than mine would have been. Nice restraint Sue! Capt. Rocky
                        • Gregory
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 23, 2013
                            The Bolger group is in fact all inclusive for boating and boatbuilding - especially Bolger and Bolger-inspired. Any "on-topic" within that range is fair game. The goal is to build more boats and promote and propagate PCB's and SA's boats, plans, and ideas or even extrapolations.

                            }Description
                            }Discussing and building Philip C. Bolger's (1927-2009) boat designs }and similar.
                            }
                            }This is a spam-free, on topic group - pretty much anything boating, }design, or boat-building related is fair game. Please don't repost }Spam. Spammers and flamers will be bounced off.

                            BTW, who here still dates back to Chris Noto's listserver from the 90's? Anyone?

                            Anyone wishing to discuss list mechanics/politics are welcome to email me off-list. Otherwise, everyone's welcome here.

                            Gregg Carlson/Moderator

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Long" wrote:

                            > I guess we'll have to agree to disagree there, Rocky. PCB was never afraid to acknowledge the influence of other designers or even point a potential client to another designer if that would be better match. He often acknowledged other designers in his work. IIRC, he mentioned Jim Michalak in BWAOM as the consulting engineer on the mast of his big steel leeboard sharpie motorsailer for Pacific island commerce. Like I said, this group has long included Jim's work in it's discussions. Cheers, Matthew
                            >
                            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, captainrocky@ wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Would you recommend Ford on the Chevy site or try to tout Coke on the Pepsi site ? Nothing against an imitator but this IS a Bolger site. Sues response was a lot milder than mine would have been. Nice restraint Sue! Capt. Rocky

                          • John Kohnen
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 23, 2013
                              Me! I've been here just about forever...

                              On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 17:26:31 -0800, Gregg wrote:

                              > The Bolger group is in fact all inclusive for boating and boatbuilding -
                              > especially Bolger and Bolger-inspired. Any "on-topic" within that range
                              > is fair game. The goal is to build more boats and promote and propagate
                              > PCB's and SA's boats, plans, and ideas or even extrapolations.
                              > BTW, who here still dates back to Chris Noto's listserver from the 90's?
                              > Anyone?

                              John (jkohnen@...)
                              His heart was bound in oak and triple brass who first committed
                              a fragile bark to the raging sea... (Horace)