Re: Composite nails

  • MylesJ. Swift
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 18, 2013

      Oddbjorn,

      You can also consider bronze ring shank nails, available is small, short sizes. That is what I used when I doubled the bottom of my Micro.

      These were the least expensive I found. If you are building and want to keep working these stay in permanently and you can sand them a bit.  http://www.rjleahy.com/Store/nails/silicon.htm

      MylesJ

    • oddbjornjonassen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 24, 2013
        Myles,

        Thank you for the information. I have a couple of additional questions if you permit:

        When using the bronze nails, did you have to prebore for the nails or could you just hammer them in?

        What thickness of plywood was used and what was the average distance between the nails when gluing two layers of plywood?

        Regards
        Oddbjørn

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "MylesJ. Swift" wrote:

        > Oddbjorn,
        >

        > You can also consider bronze ring shank nails, available is small, short
        > sizes. That is what I used when I doubled the bottom of my Micro.
        >

        > These were the least expensive I found. If you are building and want to keep
        > working these stay in permanently and you can sand them a bit.
        > http://www.rjleahy.com/Store/nails/silicon.htm
        >

        > MylesJ

      • John Boy
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 24, 2013
          Predrill is best for bronze boat nails, they have a tendency to bend if you don't.

          Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island