Re: [bolger] Re: Light and FAST but simple plywood power boat?

  • harryjak
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
      Stable planning angle, makes hobby horsing difficult.

      HJ

      Every flying boat Ican recall seeing a picture of, or seeing at an air
      > show, has a Step Hydroplane.
      >
      > V/R
      > Chris
      >
      > On 01/17/2013 11:10 AM, jdmeddock wrote:
      >> I bet Vee bottom is important to a flying boat.
      >> On landing wetted surface increases slowly so it doesn't slow too fast and trip.
      >>
      >> Probably makes a difference on take-off too, a flat bottom may take a lot longer
      >> to build enough speed to rotate.
      >> Just a guess from staring at planes like an eight year old for the last 40
      >> years...
      >>
      >> Justin
      >>

      >> ------------------------------------
      >>
      >> Bolger rules!!!
      >> - NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
      >> - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
      >> - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred' posts
      >> - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip away
      >> - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978)
      >> 282-1349
      >> - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >> - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups
      >> Links

    • Pat
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
        The short video was taken new years day 2013. Coming back to Koh Chang heading into 15-20 knots of wind. We were motoring with a 9.8 hp Tohatsu 2 stroke . Waves about 0.5-1 meter speed 4.5 -5 knots. 20 kilometesr of open water between the 2 islands bashed into these waves for about 4 hours. We never felt a risk the  boat was well behaved and dry. At one point we pulled in mizzen and lashed tiller and hove to. We drifted 45 deg to waves making a little headway. Trip lasted 5 days 120 kilometers...very nice way to spend new Year.

        Cheers
        Pat
      • Matthew Long
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
          Thanks, but is there supposed to be a link to a video in here?