Re: [bolger] Re: Light and FAST but simple plywood power boat?

  • Christopher C. Wetherill
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
      Every flying boat I can recall seeing a picture of, or seeing at an air show, has a Step Hydroplane.

      V/R
      Chris

      On 01/17/2013 11:10 AM, jdmeddock wrote:
      I bet Vee bottom is important to a flying boat.
      On landing wetted surface increases slowly so it doesn't slow too fast and trip.

      Probably makes a difference on take-off too, a flat bottom may take a lot longer to build enough speed to rotate.
      Just a guess from staring at planes like an eight year old for the last 40 years...

      Justin

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          bolger-digest@yahoogroups.com
          bolger-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • daschultz8275@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
        Simplest would be the Bolger "Skimmer" available via Payson's "Instantboats.com"

        don
      • Stephen Kandul
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013

          It occurs to me that the Skimmer type of boat might be just the ticket for a amphibious aircraft hull.  I say this as twenty or so years ago the USAF aircraft museum at Wright-Patterson AFB had a circa 1915 amphibian on display.  The plan was home build by a guy who then taught himself to fly it and barn stormed it around the mid west for several years.

          The hull on that AC was very much like a Skimmer hull in configuration, though probably a bit stretched to diminish “porposing”.  If you are going to do a one off design and home build AC it would be worth your time to visit the museum or at least contact them and see what information is available on this AC.  The technology was bone dry basic!

          Regards, SSK

        • harryjak
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
            Flat bottom gets on a plane easier, the problem is any waves. 40 mpph or more with
            a flat bottom on a 6" chop is brutal.

            HJ

            > I bet Vee bottom is important to a flying boat.
            > On landing wetted surface increases slowly so it doesn't slow too fast and trip.
            >
            > Probably makes a difference on take-off too, a flat bottom may take a lot longer to
            > build enough speed to rotate.
            > Just a guess from staring at planes like an eight year old for the last 40 years...
            >
            > Justin
            >

            > ------------------------------------

            > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978)
            > 282-1349
            > - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups
            > Links

          • harryjak
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
              Stable planning angle, makes hobby horsing difficult.

              HJ

              Every flying boat Ican recall seeing a picture of, or seeing at an air
              > show, has a Step Hydroplane.
              >
              > V/R
              > Chris
              >
              > On 01/17/2013 11:10 AM, jdmeddock wrote:
              >> I bet Vee bottom is important to a flying boat.
              >> On landing wetted surface increases slowly so it doesn't slow too fast and trip.
              >>
              >> Probably makes a difference on take-off too, a flat bottom may take a lot longer
              >> to build enough speed to rotate.
              >> Just a guess from staring at planes like an eight year old for the last 40
              >> years...
              >>
              >> Justin
              >>

              >> ------------------------------------
              >>
              >> Bolger rules!!!
              >> - NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
              >> - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
              >> - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred' posts
              >> - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip away
              >> - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978)
              >> 282-1349
              >> - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
              >> - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups
              >> Links

            • Pat
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
                The short video was taken new years day 2013. Coming back to Koh Chang heading into 15-20 knots of wind. We were motoring with a 9.8 hp Tohatsu 2 stroke . Waves about 0.5-1 meter speed 4.5 -5 knots. 20 kilometesr of open water between the 2 islands bashed into these waves for about 4 hours. We never felt a risk the  boat was well behaved and dry. At one point we pulled in mizzen and lashed tiller and hove to. We drifted 45 deg to waves making a little headway. Trip lasted 5 days 120 kilometers...very nice way to spend new Year.

                Cheers
                Pat
              • Matthew Long
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 17, 2013
                  Thanks, but is there supposed to be a link to a video in here?